Page 1 of 68 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Gonna keep a record here of my citalopram journey!

Gonna keep a record here of my citalopram journey!

I am male 54 and finally summoned the courage to give citalopram a go.

I've read the horror stories, so thought it might be an idea to keep a daily record here of how it affects me, in the hope it may encourage others? (or not!)

My symptoms were swinging from dark depression with slow mental function, and slightly more "with it" times - which I have begun to obsess about, and worry and anxiety levels up through the roof. Tried everything else like you do and finally acknowledge that I can't do this on my own, which in itself is a healing step I think!

Will follow this post with a day by day report of me getting onto 20mg daily, taken at 9am each day.

DAY 1

Was really nervous that it would do something horrible straight away, but in the event I took it with a decaf coffee and got busy with something at work, and genuinely forgot it about for at least 2 hours. Also drove into the office, and noticed nothing odd about my driving awareness etc.
    At around 1pm I had lunch and noticed I was very slighly headachy, but had sat in front of pc for 4 hours. Also could tell I was slowed down a little, not tingly, or anxious, actually felt quite calm. The only obvious thing I can tell is my eyes fell a little clearer, and I feel slightly less troubled by my darkness - but that is perhaps placebo at me getting on to these things in the first place. Evening was ok, did some wife chauffering and she couldn't notice anything odd about driving etc. No hunger/sickness issues - slightly less hungry than usual but didn't stop me having my poached eggs for dinner! Then chocolate covered strawberries in cream -yum!

So - bedtime loomed and very nervous about sleep - I am usually a good sleeper but do wake early fretting and worrying - so feel I need my sleep!
    Will report on day 2 how that went!
    Overall: Not at all bad - a decent day and nothing to worry about.

Day 2 morning

Hmmm - the sleep thing was not good - I went off to sleep quickly, but got up to the loo at around 4am, and struggled to get back to sleep, but managed - was tired and awake several times between 4am and 8am, but just lay in bed and rested when I couldn't sleep. But - I wasn't stressing and worrying - I was "just awake".
    Don't feel like breakfast today - and can tell the pills are starting to dig a bit deeper into me - but no headache, no dizziness, just a little slowed down, and pleasantly sort of care-free.

Re: Gonna keep a record here of my citalopram journey!

Sounds good so far. We need to remember that not everyone has side effects. I have friends who take it and they were neither up nor down with it and think it's great. Hope you carry on the same path.
    Myra

Day 2 afternoon

Cheers Myra, yes just testing the water to see how I go.

Day 2 afternoon I'm just feeling very tired - ok besides that - a bit vague maybe - but it's very hard to tell - us depressed folks can feel vague at the drop of a hat with or without pills!

Mart - Citalopram can take anywhere between 2-8 weeks to take effect, so it's something you'll have to stick with. Even if the first week or to is a bit rough, you'll feel the benefit if you ride the storm out. Keeping a diary/blog on here is a good thing to do (I do something similar) as it's good to chart your progress over time.

Mart - I am on week 3 and my side effects were, nausea, off my food, not being able to sleep, I also got a bit more anxious in the first week, most of the side effects have now gone and the main ones now are jaw clenching, and sometimes still not sleeping properly but the tablets have already made a difference and I am much better than I was before them and the doctor said it takes 6 weeks to work fully so I should get better yet.

Everyone is different on citroplam so side effects may be different for you and some people hardly get any.

Look forward to reading your posts.

Megan x

Day 3

Well not a lot of sleep again ..... starting to consider maybe taking one kalms or a zirtek to help - but got a 400 mile round trip drive tomorrow for work so will brave it without anything again tonight. Got a dr appointment in two days so will discuss the sleep issue. Maybe I could try some *azepam every other day for a bit to settle down.

Anyway - feeling a bit hazy today - a bit slower than normal and not focusing on the job in hand too well. But still nowhere near as bad as I expected. Possibly due to lack of sleep as much as the pills.

Noticed last night that I wasn't too hungry - which is a miracle for me - so ate less than usual - but am a pound heavier today - grim!
    Got a slight headache first thing - and can't have anadin extra which are my faves - so soluble paracetamol will have to do for now.
    Going to drink loads of water today to see if that perks me up.
    (am also having that other delaying sex symptom that some men get - thought it might be fun at first - but defo not!)

Thanks for the comments - yes know I must be patient, and we are all different (aren't we just!)

update - after lunch, a diet red bull and some paracetamol I started to feel quite a bit better - felt a bit anxious and off when I nipped to tescos for some lunch - but like I said the caffeine seemed to give me a lift - or the paracetamol - or the lunch
    Last edited by martbarr; 20-01-10 at 19:29.

Try and stick with it! I found the first 3 days the hardest and then the side effects started to subside. After 2.5 weeks I suddently started to feel better. Am now 6 months in and can report that this miracle drug has transformed my life. I started feeling so awful I didnt think I could get through a day - crying - sleeping - not wanted to face the next morning. Now I am contented and happy and able to face life with a happy heart. I havent felt like this in years. So - try to keep with it!

i had a good first day a few terrible days a lot of nausea this was on 10mg i am now taking ten one day and 20 the next because i am pregnant, but i have noticed the sickness return on my 20 days and since taking them i have lost a lot of motivation but am sleeping a lot but before i would prob have 4 hours a night because of anxiety so thinking they are prob just helping my body catch up and slow down a bit, i think we judge meds to quickly we all have various symptoms some good some bad lets just all hope in the end they do the job for all of us. good luck x

Page 1 of 68 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread Information