Thread: Worried sick waiting on test results..pls help

Worried sick waiting on test results..pls help

Hi

I suffer with health anxiety..I have for ages and every time I start to get it under control something happens and it comes back. Every time (in the past) I've been to the Docs for tests I've come out ok...I went for my yearly "girly" exam so I had a breast exam and pap smear and an internal exam (sorry if it's TMI)..The Doctor said it all looked and felt ok..but I've been doing a lot of reading on Pap Smears and HPV and it's scaring me. I've read about women having normal smears and then suddenly they end up on the next smear as having cervical cancer and HPV..I'm petrified now!!

I can't stop worrying, it's making me have nightmares and panic attacks. I've rang the Doctors office to see if the results are back (it's been a week almost) and they are not..I keep trying to reassure myself that if it had been really bad someone would have called me by now. The Doctor said they take around a week..when I called the nurse said up to 2 weeks. Idon't know how I'm going to get thru till then, I"m scared stiff. Anyone got any help for me? Thanks!!!

Re: Worried sick waiting on test results..pls help

im in your boat. had chest xray today. i know i have lung cancer im sure of it. going a take a week or so to be official from the doc though. i dont want to get out of bed to be honest.

I'm sure you will be ok..they will be in touch sooner if it's bad. I'm trying not to think about mine but the waiting is killing me..I still have another week or so, the anxiety is crippling me!

Hello sweetie,

You will get through it. Line up atreat for day you get results. I do! Please let us know results which will be fine. Liss

i can understand your anxious, i went through a very bad time a few years back. i was tested for hiv. (an ex g,f messing with my head). i had to wait thirteen weeks before i could go anywere near a clinic to get a conclusive result.

so..... what did i do for thirteen weeks, sit in front of a computer on google scaring myself to death. 13 weeks is a hell of a long time then had to wait for another week for the result. all i kept reading about was hiv, symptoms, symptoms symptoms. i drummed it into my head that i was positive. i had almost all the symptoms due to the anxiety and came out on top. a negative result.

thirteen weeks of pure torture bought on by myself. hope this helps.

tom.

Hey there! I have had smear tests take two weeks and some 6 weeks, not telling you that to make you worry about how long its gonna take, but just to let you know that it varies depending on the time of year, postage and how busy they are so dont worry if theyre taking a while. Just because of the time of year. Actually got my last one back today. It was actually the first negative test Ive ever had, The rest were all borderline over the last 2 years which isnt a cause for concern, just means that I might have had an infection, or been run down when I got the tests, the nurse even said it could be because Im a smoker...well I was but I gave up. Also if you get regular smear tests the chances of one being fine one minute and then next saying serious cancer isnt very likely. The reason I think this is because of the months that they say to leave between retesting even if you have an abnormal result. Honestly huni dont worry, as long as you go every 6 -12 months as advised to get tested you will be absolutely fine so dont panic. As for HPV there are many different forms, a lot of which bear no relation to cancer. Its only some forms that do. Hope you feel better

xxx
    xx
    x

Thread Information