Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Constant high alert & Citalopram concerns

Constant high alert & Citalopram concerns

Hi again

I feel as though I am living in a high pressure head fog. I turn round I feel dizzy.

I feel like my muscles are twitching and feel shaky but very little can be seen when I look (like by holding out my hand).

I also feel like my muscles are cramping like in my neck and shoulders, but more feels like sharp shooting pains.

I don't know what to make of it :(

Also went the doc today and she suggested Citalopram 10mg. She wasn't my normal doctor and I explained how I wasn't coping and panic over side effects of drugs. I took anti-ds about 3 years ago (Effexor) and had horrific side effects and felt a hundred times worse. and more scared than I had been before I took them. I only lasted 5 days.

I don't know whether to take them. A lot of people here seem to have had horrible experiences and horrible side effects that I don't think I could cope with. I also work full time and have a young daughter so need to be on the ball.

Can anyone help as to whether the symptoms above are normal or not and whether I should try Citalopram or not...

Thank you

Re: Constant high alert & Citalopram concerns

I think side affects are real personal things with AD's. I tried those ones years ago for 3 days & couldn't take the side affects to be honest, like you I have children & work to deal with, it just wasn't possible to live with the side affects for 2 weeks or however long they can go on for. YET my brother has been on them for years now, & gets on really well with them! So I dont know what to say really. Maybe give them a go?
    I can take Diazapam with no nasty side affects at all. Slightly different use to it I know, but I reakon they all vary greatly & will be different on different people no matter what you hear from others xxx

Hi,

I have been having constant head pressure & dizziness the same as you and have been reluctant to try citalopram because of all of the stories I've read about the drug on here. But I've decided to trial it on the advice of my doctor and cbt psychologist. I've been taking it now for 6 days and fingers crossed I've had no side effects. I can't promise that you won't but it's maybe worth giving it a go?

Lisa

I know how true it is that people are more inclined to write when they have had a bad experience with a drug/product etc but sometimes for balance it is nice to hear the good things too.

I am thinking about taking them because I really am struggling on my own but just want to know a bit more before i do.

Thank you both for replying

I halved my 10mg tablets for the first couple of days to test the side effects and when I felt fine I took the full dose. Good luck with what you decide to do x

Quote Originally Posted by hopefulis View Post
    I halved my 10mg tablets for the first couple of days to test the side effects and when I felt fine I took the full dose. Good luck with what you decide to do x
    Thats a good idea actually. My doctor suggested I do that when I got the scarey side affects, but by then I was too freaked out to take anymore whatsoever. If he had only suggested that to start with it might have made all the difference x

I took Effexor several years ago, and didn't experience any immediate side-effects. The eventual effects on my personality, life and just general state of being were, however, horrendous.

I've been taking Citalopram for around 5 months now, starting on 10mg, now upped to 30mg. I had immediate side-effects of major sleepiness (which wore off after 1-2 weeks), but also tummy problems at the start and also each time the dose was increased - so much so that one GP prescribed me tablets for IBS.
    These have all disappeared now, and I actually feel almost like myself and not at all like the almost zombie-ish person I was on Effexor.
    So much so that I questioned whether the Citalopram was actually working with my GP this week. She assured me that I shouldn't come off them just yet.

hi scorpion , haven't got much in the way of advice , just know that i'm feeling EXACTLY the same and you're not alone
    your symptoms to me sound like muscle tension / trapped nerve
    as for the vision thing , i try to concentrate on something clear like my phone when my vision goes hazy ! then i know that it's just my anxiety and nothing bad is going to happen because i'm able to focus on something !
    stay strong XX

Thank you for all the replies, it has been really useful.

Funnily enough I was thinking last night about halving the 10mg for the first few days so I'm glad other people think along the same lines. I figure it may sound silly to some but if it helps me get up to the right dose and helps me stick it out then surely that is the most important thing.

One thing to say with Citalopram is take them in the evening, it's makes them much more tolerable and you sleep through most of the side effects. I'd ask your Dr as well before breaking them in half as they think you are taking the full 10mg so won't know how you are really doing if only taking 5mg. Also if they are the enteric coated ones they are timed released so aren't ment to be broken. Just something to check before doing so and good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information