Thread: Pushing People Away

Pushing People Away

Ive had agoraphobia and anxiety since 2001.
    Recently me and my hubby are having problems and we've just started going to Relate.
    My main problem for a while is that I push people away and wonder why I havent got an friends.....dont know how to stop doing this,it seems to just happen automatically and then I realise what Ive done.

I had a male friend tell me he wanted to be more than friends this week,Ive just cut him dead basically by writing him an email saying it might be best if we keep our distance for 6 months (the 6 months bit is because thats the time frame were giving our relationships before we decide finally what to do...not sure if that makes sense) but I regret it already.......I could kick myself - why dont I want to get close to anyone and am I pushing my husband away too? Goodness all these thoughts going round are so confusing,I dont know where I am or what to do for the best?

Re: Pushing People Away

Hi Card,
    I think we all push people away sometimes with anxiety and depression too. It just sometimes seems to much and you just want to be left alone but at the same time you don't want that and you want peoples support! I have done the same myself at my worst.
    It is probably a good idea to keep away from the man who likes you while you and your husband try to work things out. If it doesn't work out with your husband then at least you know you have both tried without any outside influences.
    It is definitely confusing at times with anxiety and you don't always know what to do for the best but you can only do your best and don't beat yourself up over things.

Thread Information