Thread: Anxiety

Anxiety

Hi, New here.
    Been having problems for about a year now. Started off as pains around ribs, appendix, but had blood tests, thyroid tests, ecg x 2, gastroscopy, but came back with nothing. Frustrated as couldnt understand why nothing found, as I certainly wasnt imagining the pains. GP gave me fluoxetine a year ago, but only it for 3 months as didn't seem to do anything. Now been on amitriptyline for a year, 50mg at night to help sleep. About once a month I get very stressed and cant sleep, GP gave me Diazapam to take. Given 10 pills and have used 4 in 6 months. Problem now is muscles very tight in chest every day and pain down chest centre and sternum. Want to get to bottom of it as very frustrting and limiting in what I can do. Work very stressful, but get through it, then pains start at home when trying to relax. The pain then goes from chest to numbness down the left arm and hand which can last for several hours. GP has offered citalopram 10mg, but wary of side effects and would prefer to get over this without medication, so pills still sitting in cupboard for past 3 months. Tried multivitamins and Vit B Complex been on these for 2 months now, but dont appear to help. Read about 5HTP, but not sure if I can take it with amitriptyline. Thought about Hypnotherapy, or biofeedback or other alternatives to help get through the muscle crampings when they happen and especially the night ones. lthough the night ones are now rarer they are very frightening, but dont want to rely on pills, if I can find alternatives.
    Any ideas?

Hi EuropeSpurs

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

Re: Anxiety

Hello.....it all sounds like anxiety to me,i am no doctor but have been through enough to know the symptoms and signs.You should see a Health Psychologist to help you work on your anxieties,they really do help.I have been seeing one for two years and he has helped guide me back to reality and notice the signs my body is telling me,you mentioned thyroid tests,ask your doc about parathyroid glands,these can mimic panic and anxiety,I have had 2 parathyroid glands removed,simple urine,parahormone level tests should tell if there is a problem.Also cognitive therapy is good Try deep breathing exercises to.....Try not to let it get you down,I know it's hard but you must take your thought pattern elsewhere.I visualise and meditate when I feel Like crap,it does work if I allow it to............I know you will be ok.
    Take Care Rhonda

Hello there

Welcome to NMP! theres lots of helpful information here.

Its really good to have you with us!

You will have lots of love and support here!! welcome.

When you want it
    It goes away too fast
    Times u hate it
    It always seems to last

I have private health insurance, so was going to get a referral from the GP, but not sure where to start? GP can be difficult and sometimes appear non-plussed with it all, but that could be his way of trying to get me not to worry anymore. Last time he said, no need for anymore tests. I have asked if there re any breathing techniques, other options, but he has never answered really. I dont want anymore tests, but getting frustrated the longer it goes on. When I get the central chest pains, they become unbearable. Need to find a way to control them and calm myself, but very difficult to do. Don't want to keep going back to him and appear to be undermining his treatment, but don't want it going on any longer. He gave me the citalopram, but I didn't use it, so he said increase the amitriptyline. Reason I didn't take the citalopram was due to reading other people's experiences and their problems. He said more likely to get side effects by upping the amitriptyline. Still get dizzy spells, tiredness suddenly coming on, but not sure if this is side effects of pills. Not sure whether to change diet, to re-energise, up the exercise to keep energy levels up.
    Options are: -
    • Trying citalopram 10mg in the morning
    • Increasing Amitriptyline to 75mg each night
    • Trying other non prescription routes, e.g. 5HTP
    • Hypnotherapy
    • Yoga / Meditation
    • Breathing techniques
    I appreciate that some of the pills need to be taken for a month before they kick in and need to persevere with them, but also I need to work. So preference is natural help, but acknowledge that might need to take medication for 6 months + to assist the process whislt learning how to manage/control attacks.

Any help/suggestions most welcome?

Once again ask your GP for tests on Para thyroid glands your symptoms sound like that could be a problem,hey I am no doc, but have had similar symptoms maybe you should change Doctors
    Take care Ronny

thanks, will do.

to NMP.There is a brilliant book by Dr Claire Weekes;SELF HELP FOR YOUR NERVES ISBN 0-7225-3155-9.This is available from the NMP shop. Dr Weekes was a physician and scientist. She was a fellow sufferer (nominated for the nobel prize for medicine) and really understood this illness. She took the mystery out of it, and devised a simple programme for recovery. I can't recommend this enough. This will get better.

Here is a link to her site;

http://www.drclaireweekes.co.uk/

Veronicax

i've read this, it is good, but need to practice and keep it up

Thread Information