Thread: Blood in phlegm/mucus in the morning

Blood in phlegm/mucus in the morning

When I cleared my throat this morning to cough up any mucus/phlegm, I've noticed a blob of yellow phlegm with blood. I have noticed yellow phlegm the past week in the morning. It's usually not yellow anymore in the day(back to white) & occasionally there's a blob of blood, only in the morning. I don't feel like I've got a cold, no cough & I recovered from the flu almost 2 weeks ago. I might have sinus though.

Does anyone know anything about this? Is it normal?
    "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34
    - - -
    If you treat every situation as a life and death matter, you'll die a lot of times. ~Dean Smith
    - - -
    Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy. ~Leo Buscaglia

Re: Blood in phlegm/mucus in the morning

Hi there,

I have had this on several occasions and have posted on here about it before as I was worried. I usually get this following a cold or flu and have been to the Doctors about it a couple of times and they have told me that this is quite normal. Mine usually comes from my nasal passages at the back of my nose and trickles into the throat rather than down my nose hence the apperance in the mucus when you to cough it up. The nasal passages are very thin and sensitive and are prone to bleeding, especially following a cold and they become fragile after blowing and sneezing. Changes in temperature also affect it.
    I hope this helps?
    Kindest regards Nikki. :-) x

Hi Mom
    Its wise to see your GP for any kind of chest symptoms, however sometimes blood from your nose can be swallowed down your throat in your sleep, and as soon as your awake and upright your body rejects it, and you cough it up. have you had any traces of blood from your nose? maybe when you blow?
    I would definatley see the doc as you have had flu, maybe its a little chest infection.
    Lets know how you get on.
    luv Tracie x

i had a bad sore throat & lots of coughing but it stopped about 7 days ago. no i dont notice any blood when i blow my nose.
    "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34
    - - -
    If you treat every situation as a life and death matter, you'll die a lot of times. ~Dean Smith
    - - -
    Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy. ~Leo Buscaglia

i had this when i had sinusitis.

Is there any medication for sinus? eg anitbiotics?
    - - -
    - - -

I think that antibiotics are only useful when you have yellow/green/brown stuff, so you're probably mostly better already. Also, take a close look at the blood, if it is just a congealed dot rather than stringy then it is most likely a spot that gets dislodged when you do your coughing up - a bit like picking the scab off every morning. Where are you dislodging stuff from, chest, throat or sinus?

I'm actually experiencing this "blood in phlegm" problem every morning for the past two days. I have had chesty coughs and a stuffy nose for 5 days now to which my ENT doctor diagnosed as sinusitis (based on my sinuses' x-ray too). The blood that comes out with my phlegm is red and looks much more like a glob rather than stringy, but from my nose the blood looks like traces only and is stringy.

@Claire M:
    Since you've experienced this too when you had sinusitis, I want to ask you: how long does it usually last? This is the first time I've experienced any "blood in phlegm" phenomenon.

Hey I get blood in my phlegm too. Usually notice it when I blow my nose or when its running down my throat, mainly when blow my nose. I dont have it all the time but have noticed that I get it alot.

I do suffer bad sinus pain and sometimes have sinus infections but Ive never mentioned anything about the blood to anyone as I never really thought it was much of a big deal for me.

But I hope you find out what it could be aye.

can anyone tell me how long the blood lasted i am in a panic now as its been seven days not seen ant blood from nose and it happens in the morning thank you for any replys

Thread Information