Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muscle fatigue/twitching/aching - worried about serious disorder

Muscle fatigue/twitching/aching - worried about serious disorder

I have posted on NMP before about a problem i have with health anxiety. I have read about every symptom and heard many stories associated with this horrible problem. I have been suffering with it for 16 months or so. Despite my doctor telling me all is fine and it's 'just anxiety' and doing various blood tests, and of course all the things i have read. I still cannot believe it is not a more serious disease such as MS or ALS.

There have been various episodes of things that have driven me to the doctors or searching frantically on google. The most recent one which i really hate concerns muscle shaking/fatigue and weakness. I don't know why but despite being happy and relaxed i have for about 6 weeks been having quite strong shaking and muscle weakness sensations. With aching too, particualrly in my legs and arms. What really concerns me and sends me into full blown panic mode is when this happens or gets worse after a short/small amount of light muscle exertion - such as a bit of walking or carrying something vaguely heavy for a short distance. For example, the fire alarm went off at work today and i had to, very slowly and calmly, walk down 13 floors of stairs. When i got to the area we had to stand in my legs felt so weak i thought i would fall over any moment. I just tried to hide it. Someone said why are you so quiet! It was because i was freaking out in my head!!!!

I can understand muscle tension and adrenaline causing shaking and aching - it makes sense in a direct cause and reaction equation. What i am feeling doesn't! I am not anxious or tense, i only become so AFTER the the physical symptoms. Why would my muscles feel weak and wobbly after such light exertion??? I haven't done any exercise for nearly a year because of this and the simply fact that i am now scared of my own body as a result!!!

It doesn't seem right and i don't seem to be able to rationalise anything anyone tells me. The physical symptoms overule anything i read, hear or am told - even by doctors. I am terrified of MS or ALS and don't know what to do. Please help.....!

Re: Muscle fatigue/twitching/aching - worried about serious disorder

Hi, CALM DOWN!!! I have been exactly where you are, and about 16 months in it myself.

I get twitches constantly and all over. I have gone through feeling weak in almost every limb, and definitely feel that my hands don't work as well as they used to. I have had speech issues too.

BUT, if it were MND you would be seriously debilitated by now, and MS would come and go and is also NOT associated with twitches anyway.

One thing that you need to know is that Benign Fasciculation Syndrome, which I am sure that you have and note the word BENIGN (NOT harmful or serious), is associated with exercise intolerance, i.e. your muscles tire more easily.

In fact I thought all my troubles began at the time of stress but realise that my arms and legs would tire easier a little before my twitches became noticeable. This site is great, but if you want to catch up with other BFS sufferers then go to http://www.nextination.com/aboutbfs/forums/index.php

I am sure that will REALLY help you, as it did me. You may also suffer from cramps in the future as that can also be a problem experienced along with some strange warm water running in your leg (strange). These are all things that people have experienced and had checked out many times.

Please don't worry; I know how scary it can be, thinking about it all day and sometimes night. If you need to PM me, please feel free!!!

Take Care

Bless

Rachel

Thanks very much for coming back on this Rachel. I was beginning to freak out a bit and it is nice to know that other people have had similar problems - even if they manifest themselves i a slightly different way. There are clearly worst things you can have (most of which we are all scared of and hence our being on here!) However, i think this is really quite a cruel problem as there is very little that can tangibly be done about it and all you are left with is constant worry.

Thanks for the info about BFS. I will mention it next time i see the doc - although that said last time i mentioned any other condition aside from Anxiety, she rather told me off for searching on the internet and fueling the anxiety.

Not sure if this link will work, but it is one of the most accurate descriptions of the problem and mental battles i have read. http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthr...ighlight=bored

Thanks again

Shreddie
    My heart goes out to you really it does.

I would suggest the following :

1. Consult. Have a general, all over medical check up. This doesn't mean going to a doctor with specific symptoms, it means having a 'physical'

2. Walk. Depending on those results, I would suggest you start a light but daily physical work out. A brisk and I mean breathless making walk would be a good start.

3.Build. Light but precise muscle building exercise wither with weights in a gym or by volunteering outdoors .

4. Eat. Really look at what you are putting into your body. Eat little and often and seriously research the different ways you can get the best possible nutrition for yourself. Drink plenty of water and perhaps supplement with a good multivitamin and mineral. Boots do a great thrity day supply for only 99p so you don't need to break the bank.

5. Relax. Take a little time for yourself every day to chill, wind down and take your own space. There a lots of great cds to listen to that will help with this. (message me about this).

6. Reach out. Volunteer .. There are SO many voluntary projects that can get your mind off your own problems (not to make little of your problems in any way.just ot encourage you to focus away from them). Again personal mesage me for links related to this. You will be amazed how this can help!

Hope some or any of this helps. This advice only comes from stuff I have tried and found really helpful myself . We all have our own unique experiences.

Really wishing you well.

Rozie

I am having the same issues and have an MRI for the end of FEB.

Me too. Have this twitching all over again. Magnesium supplement really helped me before so I am going back on it now. Nice to know I am not alone. Good luck everyone.

Thanks for all the comments here. They really are a big help. It is great to know you are not alone - not that i would wish it on anyone!

To add a little more detail (i don't know about you but i could write/talk about it for hours, so have to hold back a little!) I have been to docs and pyschiatrist a number of times. I had a full medical/physical back in late Nov which was absolutely fine - as have been the last 3 blood tests i've had. The doc has not even entertained it being anything other than anxiety. She doesn't want to have/or think i need any other tests, such MRI's etc. She says there's no need and it will only fuel my anxiety as i will treat it as confirmation that she thinks i need an MRI - she doesn't!

My problem is when these shakes, pains, aches occur when i feel relaxed and happy. My anxiety doesn't take the usual much written about form of heart palps, chest pain, sweating, breathlessness - although i have had this stuff at times. Mine is more the subconscious head related symptoms affecting the nervous system - pressure in the head, tight band around head, shaking, wobbly aching legs/arms, feeling like you are about to fall over/collapse. This is likely because my greatest fears seem, for an unknown reason, to stem from things like MS, ALS and Parkinsons. I should note my gran died from a major stoke/resulting bleed (i witnessesed her death), and my dad had a TIA which i also witnessed a couple of years ago (fine now!). This also started about 2 weeks after my gran died. Yet that was 16 months ago and now i forget this fact because the symptoms are so strong and current - i am alway focusing on my body right now!

My problem, and what really bothers me, is when this starts unprompted when i am happy/relaxed/mentally occupied elsewhere. Something small can make me start feeling wobbly, muscle fatigue etc and that scares me because i think - why would this happen when i am fine!!! My symptoms start without anxiety and then naturally i get anxious about them because they scare me. To date no one, medical or otherwise, has managed to really explain when this happens, what causes it and why it's totally fine and i don't need to worry. My thinking, and part of the reason i have this problem because this isn't how the medical world/body works, is quite black and white. If i can understand how something works, what's causing it and what the resulting effect is, i can then process it and essentially label it (mentally) as something i needed worry about - i hope that makes sense!

Long note - apologies - it's very hard to articulate i find.....

OH my goodness. I have the EXACT same things and it scares the crap out of me constantly. I have the added worry that my fingers often dont work properly. sometimes they are stiff, sometime they shake and alot of the time they just feel so weak they are useless, like I have to use the muscles at the top of my arm to move my hands.

But its the random timing of symptoms that freaks me out. My arm will go stone dead while I do the dishes and I'm feeling calm. Or my leg with get hidious pins and needles inthemiddle of the night.
    My doctor did not help. I went there for him to tell me its just anxiety. But he didn't . I mentioned MS as i have been totally obsessed with it for a number of weeks, when I have those all over weak feelings. And he said it was a remote possibility and gave me a referrel to a neurologist, well ever since then I have n't stopped crying freaking out, and diving further into panic/ anxeity swirl.
    I'm soo tired from worry it takes a little twing in my body and I freak out.

BUt having said that I am so glad to have found someone else to feels the same .

Well I feel the same, freaking out that is!! Went to see cardio Dr and now I have MRI and nerve tests booked for later this week on his advice. Went to see him about funny heart beats. He did an ECG, all fine but said that the twitching and muscle weakness needed investigating more. Maybe I should be glad I will have some tests done at last but I am still scared, very much so:( At the end of the day I feel although we are an anxious bunch here, we are not exempt from serious things happening to us.
    Good luck fellow twitching friends x

Hey bestmate

Did you get your tests done?
    I am curious as I am going through the same thing...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information