Thread: Health Anxiety left arm heart & lung worries

Unhappy Health Anxiety left arm heart & lung worries

Hi, I'm new to writing on here and have been patiently waiting for my CBT appointment to come through but really need some advice from anyone else in the same situation.
    I started having panic attacks last May and then had the mother of PA's in Sept resulting in falling into the doctors surgery screaming HELP! I have been given beta blockers and offered anti depressants but not taken them as I'm too scared. Since then I have managed to cut the PA's before they get to the point of no return but my anxiety has now mutated into a general but mainly health related anxiety.
    I cannot remember the last time I woke up and felt fine. I have gone from stroke/brain tumour head and neck pains to indigestion/stomach/bowel pains to back and chest lung cancer fears and now for the last week or so left shoulder/arm ache heart worries.
    I used to be the most sane person I knew and now I don't know what's real and what isn't. I do smoke 10 a day and have a couple of glasses of wine in the evening to try to relax but as my grandad died of lung cancer at 45 I think this is where alot of my health anxiety stems from but still, when I worry I have a cigarette!!
    Everyday at the moment within 10 mins of getting up I have left shoulder and arm ache, not pain but ache. I'm constantly checking my pulse and it seems fast most of the time and am convinced I now have a heart problem.
    Is anyone else like this and has anyone found CBT to have helped health anxiety?
    So sorry to ramble but I'm desperate to get past this and be me again as for months now I am anxious leaving the house and in any situation that I cannot run from...or more to the point would look crazy running from. If it was just my life I was ruining it wouldn't be so bad but I have two children and a partner who are affected.

Re: Health Anxiety left arm heart & lung worries

I'm the same At least, about heart problems and recently brain tumours ._.

It's probably all nothing, anxiety is very, very good at creating pains and twinges and things that aren't really there!

However like I said in another thread if your heart is just giving you worries, then you can always just have a check-up if you want to put your mind at rest, that's what I decided to do If you've had one already recently then I'm sure that is accurate enough, but yeah I had a blood pressure and heartbeat check recently and I'm going to have a blood test, just because I've never done it before and it will prove I'm ok!

As for smoking, I dunno just don't do it too much - see if you can drop it down to 5 a day

Drinking is fine in moderation and preferably within context - it actually HELPS a bit! lol

But yeah, take care and try not to let anxiety get the better of you!

Hoppi!

Thread Information