Thread: weird panic attacks in morning

weird panic attacks in morning

hello, my name is Rachel. im 16 and i just registered in this forum. i have recently started having panic attacks over the past year or so. i've been wanting to ask people who have similar problems as me this question. i seem to always wake up with a random feeling, where i feel really detatched and like theres somethign very wrong wwith me. i really cant think of any reason why i would suddenly get anxious, but for some reason it leads me into a weird panic attack where everything looks strange and i assume its a panic attack but im really worried its something physically wrong with me. i have ocd and im on paxil... i know i get myself overanxious about everything so i assume this is another time im getting myself unnecessarily anxious. if anyone has had this same experience or if anyone has annyy advice that would be great!

Hi Rachel,

I have certainly had some strange and scary feelings in the early hours. They are horrible, particularly as they catch us by surprise when we are not really properly awake.

I think that the mind's sub-concious comes particularly to the fore when we are asleep, and often thats where the root cause of our anxiety is buried.

How are you when you wake up most mornings - are you more likely to feel bad then? If so, I would suggest the reasons are similar.

In my experience, these phases pass. And at this time of year, we are more vulnerable. Christmas can be stressful and make our anxiety worse, so review yourself in a few days time.

Take Care and enjoy the holiday,

Ray

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
    ~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

Hi yes I have been having the sensation for a couple weeks now particularly since I started my zoloft. The feeling seems to linger most of the day and it is very scary to me. I keep feeling like im going mental. I was actually hoping someone could answer the same questions for me that you are asking. I have been told that as the anxiety is under control that feeling will go away???? I go thru episodes of anxiety before and then gone years without any symptoms and that detached feeling always seems to linger for a bit. That is the one symptom that scares me the most and Id love to know it was going to go away!!!!! When did you start your paxil? How are you doing other then the mornings? We seem to be in the same boat so if anyone can give encouragment I think we could both use it. Take care my friend! Email me anytime you want!

im glad some of you have had these same experiences..yeah i do tend to feel uneasy in the morning and i know what you mean with the sensation of feeling detatched being exTREMELY scary i hate it..but it does seem to go away. i find its good to just keep saying to yourself itll eventually go away when your feeling detatched, cause it always does. anyway yeah ive been on paxil since i was in 7th grade for OCD, but i only started getting panic attacks like 4 or 5 months ago..

Have you told your Dr about the attacks and have they done anything to adjust or change your meds? Do you know what triggered your panic attacks? How long did it take your paxil to work for you? Did you have any side effects in the beginning. I think its really good that you can talk yourself out of the detached feeling! I think I actually talk myself into it. Sorry for all the questions lol but Im hoping we can help eachother! Take care Chrissy

yeah i did tell my Dr about the attacks..he put me up to 30mg. im pretty sure my first attack was triggered by stupidly smoking pot. when i was having the panic attack i felt like id had it before..im pretty sure when i was younger i had something like it, but never that bad. yeah i know what you mean about talking yourself into it..its weird how you have the power to freak yourself out so much. how was your first panic attack triggered? oh also do you ever not even know your going into a panic attack but you just all of a sudden feel that detatached feeling?
    --rachel

yeah as soon as I start to think about that feeling then I have it. Its weird I usually only got that depersonalized(detached) feeling during a panic attack. I havent actually had a panic attack in a few weeks but I still get that feeling which causes me to get anxious. Its strange - like I said I think im so obsessed over that feeling and im constantly thinking about it and fearing it so it turn its been lingering around. I would like to know what anyone else thinks about that??? I just started taking my zoloft which is a huge phobia of mine and that detached feeling is much more prounounded since I started it - but again I think its because taking meds are such an anxiety trigger for me. As soon as I wake up in the morning im worried about the meds and so I start feeling detached. Would like to know what anyone thinks about that as well??? Chrissy

I also have that feeling and it's very scary - I always feel worse when I have just woken up.

You are not alone and I hope it passes for us both soon.

Annie x

Thread Information