Thread: Colonoscopy

Colonoscopy

Hey guys - I'm wondering if anyone here has had one of these procedures before and if so, what it's like?

I went to the dr yesterday because I noticed some blood on the toilet paper and after a bit of a check he decided to refer me to hospital to be checked 'just as a precaution' and he also said he didn't expect their to be anything seriously wrong. Apart from the blood, I feel fine.

Needless to say I am very worried about the test and what they might find and subsequently I can't stop thinking about cancer.

I'm only 27 and I know that Bowel Cancer is rare in younger adults but does anyone know exactly how rare it is?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Colonoscopy

my 19 year old son had to have one in november. He isnt a brave man atall and so had sedation and he said the procedure was ok and he was back on the day ward within 15 minutes and let go home an hour later

Have a read of this specific forum for all replies...

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=72

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi i have had bowel problems and had to have a colonoscopey last december and i have to tell you i was in such a state..crying...panicking...and i need not have. It was painless and i cant really remeber it and if i had to have another one i owuld not be bothered at all. I had sedation which sent me to sleep i woke up near the end still very drowsy though and the dr was showing me on the screen and explaining it all to me. Please please do not worry, you honestly have nothing to worry about it is not as bad as it seems. Cancer of the bowel is very rare for our age but a colonoscopey has to be done so they can confirm ibs as ibs can only be confirmed but eliminating everything else. I worried myself sick over this and i should not have so please take my word for it. The worse part is the day before when you cant eat,lol. But seriously dont worry and let me know how you got on. xxx

Apologies nmp, I didn't realise there was a specific area of the forum for this.

Carli - thanks a lot for your reply, it does make me feel more at ease knowing that the actual procedure aint that bad I don't know exactly when I'm getting it, he said it'll probably be a few weeks away. I dunno if that's good or bad because it just gives me more time to worry about it lol but I'll try not to.

Thanks again.

Seriosly hun, when ots over you will think why the hell was you worried. It is not as all bad. xx

Cico - it is fine. Just thought you would like to have a read of the posts in there as loads of us have had this procedure done so you can get a general view of what it is like.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I had one a couple of months ago and did so without sedation (was more frightened of being sedated than colonoscopy!).

I can say, apart from twice where they had problems getting the camera around the 'bends', it was fairly painless. Just abit weird and uncomfortable on the whole but the women doing the deed where fantastic and we chatted throughout, even had a giggle at times . I did practice my breathing exercises (learnt to ease panics) and it helped lots.

From start to finish it lasted about 30 mins then back in recovery to relax and have a cuppa and a snack. I think with sedation you have to stay in a while longer.

To be honest, the stuff you have to drink to clear you out and the starvation is the worst bit by far... vile

You will be absolutely fine

Sam

Thread Information