Thread: Relationship OCD and anxiety relapse - PLEASE HELP

Relationship OCD and anxiety relapse - PLEASE HELP

Hi everyone,
    I haven't been on this site for two months which has been a real achievement for me. Last year i spent over six months with severe panic and OCD about my relationship....however before Christmas we decided to get things back on track and i was really happy and started to feel more relaxed. However, about two weeks ago my boyfriend was in a bad mood and we started talking about things and whereas i had felt things had gone back to how things were when they were good, he said he felt things were getting there and how he felt uncomfortable etc so this made me suddenly feel uneasy and i did feel unsettled for a couple of days. In reality i know he is entitled to feel all the feelings he talked about after what my panic and anxiety did too us last year but it is hard to hear and has definitely made my head busy ever since then.
    The last three days have been bad for me and although i am trying to keep the panic to a minimum, the OCD thoughts just wont seem to stop. I guess i just wanted to have some advice. Is it normal to have a relapse? HOw can i turn off these thoughts now they are buzzing again?
    The thoughts i am having are like - i feel uncomfortable about how i like to dance when we are out and he can feel uncomfortable so i then make myself feel uncomfortable and then get anxiety about how we arent right for each other because he is boring.....i link any past situation in my head and fixate on it, and start comparing sentences of speech he has said with others, my head will fixate one day on how his voice sounds and the next on how tall he is.....it is making me really upset this week as i really love him and dont want these thoughts. Please help
    Thanks alot for listening
    Hellbelle

Re: Relationship OCD and anxiety relapse - PLEASE HELP

Nasty nasty OCD, It truly is unfair and I am sorry you are going through this

Have you been diagnosed with OCD? and have you been offered types of therapy, medication ???

The thing is, when it's affecting your everyday life, which OCD always does no matter what form it takes, you must seek help from the professionals

You will be shocked to find that OCD is soooooo common, people just don't talk about it and most are on meds like me

You must take that step and make an appointment, no need to tell your boyf or family if you are not comfortable with that as it is YOUR personal business

Message me anytime if you need someone to talk to.

Just remember that OCD is considered and ACTUAL physical disease and is not something you can usually resolve yourself.
    And it's not your fault nor does it make you a bad person

All the best

Okay, I've mentioned this on a number of occasions and it's equally important in this instance to describe what you are feeling or experiencing rather than what you have in the way of a disorder, ie OCD. Obessive Compulsive Disorder is a very particular pathology that absolutely must contain the demonstrated and measurable characteristics of both obsessive thought patterns and directly associated compulsory behaviors.

People commonly describe obsessive thought patterns or vigilence to a particularly troublesome matter as OCD, but this is not actually related to the disorder. The most common presentation for people who mistake their symptoms for actual OCD is that they are highly descriptive regarding the obsessional components in the absence of the compulsory factors. In the instance of persons actually affected by the disorder, they are more troubled by the compelling forces which seem to guide them rather than the obsessive thought patterns, which incidentally are not the most salient feature of the disorder. In fact, the compulsions manifest in response to the obsessive cognitive manifestations.

If you can describe more precisely what you are actually experiencing with regard to your complaint, cognitive or otherwise, I may be able to better assist you.

Best regards

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Blimey RLR that took some reading! I had to reread several times, and I'm still not sure I understood. I can sympathise with hellbelle49 as I've been feelin ok and then I have had a sudden dip. It's distressing as u can appreciate.

Thread Information