Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H Pylori anyone had it?

H Pylori anyone had it?

I'm thinking I have this and am trying to pluck up the courage to go to the Dr's and ask for the breath and blood tests.

I feel sick all the time, it's getting to the stage where I really don't want to eat (did this 2 years ago and lived off toast and lost 2 stone in 9 months and I'm slim to start with). I sometimes get a pain in my stomach sometimes like a bruise is inside othertimes like indigestion but in my stomach not my chest. I'm tired a lot and generally just feel unwell. I wake up in the night thinking I'm going to be sick, last night was a bad night.

It's not acid as I'm on Omeprazole for that and when I feel sick I have no burning or acid feeling in my throat.

Does this sound like it's worth getting checked out for H Pylori? Just don't want to go and sound like a hyprochondriac. Haven't been to my Dr's in months as I keep putting it off

Re: H Pylori anyone had it?

Hey Cat

My husband has just been diagnosed with acid reflux disease, this caused him to feel sick/be sick after eating, he would go sometimes days not being able to hold anything down I nagged him and finally got him to go to his med centre.

They have given him omeprazole to take over the period of a month-two months.

H pylori can be diagnosed with a simple blood test, and then its a case of a course of antibiotics.

I really don't think its anything to worry about hunny, get yourself down the Docs and get it checked out

Lots of love to you

Emira

I can and will get through this....

Thanks Emira.

I've been on Omeprazole for acid reflux for over 2 years and it works ok when on it (a few unpleasant side effects) but comes back when I stop taking it.

That's why I'm thinking maybe something else is going on other than acide reflux. H Pylori sounds a lot like my symptoms. I won't have an endoscopy because of my fear of being sick and gagging but I know there are plenty of other tests that can be done like blood tests, breath tests, hida scans etc.

Explain your symptoms to your doctor and I'm sure they will give you the pylori test. It could well be this because it is very common. The great thing is it's not serious and can be easily treated.
    Myra

Thanks Myra, now just have to get an appointment.

She only does 2 half days a week and you have to call on the day to get an appointment, took me 3 goes last time to get one

I have just tested positive for this, but have to have the breath test to diagnose it aswell before they will treat it.

You have the blood test first then the breath test if you test positive.

Just ask your GP, see what he thinks. I didn't ask, my GP just thought I had it, lol!

Thanks Jessica. How does the breath test work? Do you just breath into something?

You breath into 2 tubes and put the stoppers on top quickly. You breath through a straw. You then drink 200ml of pure orange juice, then 30ml of an enzyme you get with the kit. Wait 30minutes then breath into 2 more test tubes.

You then send them off to the lab, they let your GP know the result.

Thanks for the advice Jessica. I don't think I could do the test then because I suffer from bad acid reflux and can't drink orange juice at all as it makes my acid really bad and makes me feel really sick :( Have also seen you can't take Omeprazole for 2 weeks before the test but I can't not take it as a day without and I have really bad acid again

I have an appointment with my Dr 16th Feb (she's on holiday for the next 2 weeks) so will see what she says

Hello Cat,
    The breath test isn't the only way of diagnosing helicobacter. Another common test is a stool test. This may suit you better. Orange juice wouldn't suit me either. Let us know how you get on!
    Myra

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information