Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travelling Phobia

Travelling Phobia

Does anyone else have a travelling phobia? I can't stand travelling, due to my emetophobia/agora/claustrophobia/fear of being dizzy/too warm/fainting/fear of needing the loo/dehydration etc. I think i picked it up from my ex as i used to love travelling once apon a time, (but then i spose i used to like going outside too hehe..) but he used to get car sick a lot which made me start worrying about it. Its just a shame because i live so far away from my family and can never go and see them, and i am so fearful of the town i live in because of the amount of panic attacks and pants things that have happened here that i would give anything to escape but its like i'm trapped in some kind of spiders web :( Its like as soon as i get in a car/bus/ train (though not as bad on a train) my brains starts screaming that i'm going to be sick and feel terrible and such.
    Has anyone had any success with beating a travelling phobia?

xx

Re: Travelling Phobia

im just like you, but still looking for a cure, lol. the thing is baby steps and keep at it, create good memories then we would want to do it againa xxxxxxxx

diaizpam 5mg, as needed.

come on panic attack do your worse,, you can knock me down,, BUT I WILL GET BACK UP AGAIN.

Jellie. I can relate to the travelling phobia.

I used to go on holidays with family until the mid nineteen nineties but then I just got so scared that i didn't bother going on family holidays. I have been diagnosed with Anxiety, I suffer from Claustrophobia and refuse to use public toilets. When I think back to when i used to travel a long way, I can't remember being excited. Once i was in fresh air, I was fine, it was the long distance, lot of hours spent in car as passenger and not eating much in public that were the big probs for me.
    I've decided not to get anxious about train travel and try to find an alternative mode of transport. Just getting a bus around two miles is sometimes a challenge for me but from now on, that is what I'm gonna try to do more of - bus travel.
    What I keep wanting to do is have a short break in a holiday apartment, locally and pretend I'm some where on a luxurious holiday.
    I have panicked a few times on a train and in taxi.
    Please feel free to pm me jellie. Best wishes.

Hi Jellie

I know how it feels - I'm useless at travelling. I stopped getting on buses years ago, and travelling as a passenger in a car. And going on boats. I take valium for planes. And now, I even struggle driving myself places and have started getting anxious on trains. I wish I knew of a way to help, all I can do is tell you what I did earlier this month...

I got on a train to Gatwick airport (3 hours) for a flight to Tunisia. Unfortunately, Gatwick can't cope with snow so things didn't go according to plan! We were supposed to fly out at 7 in the morning - at 2 in the afternoon I heard my partner's and my names called out to get outside where a BUS was waiting to take us to Stansted. OMG. I completely broke down and refused to go get on the bus. The thing is, if I didn't get on it I would be stuck at Gatwick indefinitely - no way of getting back home. I took a valium, got on the bus and cried for the hour and a half it took to get there. I got on the plane. I got on another bus at the other end for 40 minutes to get to the hotel. And nothing bad happened. I was fine. Getting home wasn't straightforward either, we ended up having to get a taxi back to the airport because the bus didn't pick us up. And I managed to get through that, too.

I don't know how I did it, all I can say is this - I challenged myself more than I ever have before AND I WAS FINE. I don't know what possessed me to book that holiday in the first place, I was sure I'd never get there anyway. I was ill for a week before we went. I suppose I just reached my absolute limit with it all and gave in. And I say it again - I was fine. That's not to say that I have any plans to do it again

I don't know if sharing this will help, I think I just wanted to show you that somewhere, deep down, we DO have the guts to argue with ourselves. We DO have the strength within us to challenge our fears, even if only for a little while. Small steps.

I have severe emetophobia, which I think is the root cause of ALL my anxiety and panic attacks. I've been this way for more years than I want to think about, and I've never before pushed myself so far. I ended up completely numb to it all. But there's a tiny ray of hope now - I put myself through all that and came out the other side.

I hope everyone who suffers like this will believe me when I say this - when you get right down to it, right in the middle of your worst nightmare, you will get through it. Because that day at Gatwick was MY worst nightmare.

Don't give up hope

Hmmm...travel sickness galore, claustrophobia, its all me. Throwing up on school trips and causing a chain reaction is what I'm good at. Yet I wonder if it is what is at the end of the journey that makes people scared or ill?
    The journey home is always so much easier than the journey there, because you're are going home, back to safety and familiarity. Are you sure it is the travelling you fear or maybe the going away from comfort and safety into a new place?
    Just a thaught

AND
    'AV A
    PASTY

Yep completely identify with this. I dont drive anymore, due to nearly passing out whilst driving, I cant even bare being a passenger. All forms of transport take me back to nearly passing out. I did make a 14 hour flight to Malaysia and back last year. But this was because I had no choice, my partner was working out there and was not coming back, so was in a corner really. But through breathing methods, and thinking all the reasons why I had to go, I made it there and back. Still not brilliant at travelling, and feel such relief when I get to where I am supposed to be going. I just have to push myself, tell myself the positive reasons on why Im going somewhere.

Hope that helps

could some help me, tomorrow i am going on a coach trip to clacton, i know it sounds trival, but i am really anxious and apprehensive, about travelling for i hour or so in a coach, with the windows shut, and feeling trapped, any helpfull tips will be so appreciated. thanks

Hi everyone I share some of the phobias that others have suggested. I am scared to leave home and travel long distances although I am able to force myself to do it. Yesterday I went to Hampton Court flower show on a coach. From here it took about two and a half hours. I was fine going. The coach has a loo and was air conditioned. We didn't really get held up although there were plenty of jams. The journey home was a different story as I had sunstroke and felt soo sick and had a blinding headache. Top tips take some peppermints, paracetamol, water, sickness medicine or travel bands and your own sick bag. My coach driver did not have any! If you start feeling sick try to look straight ahead and if possible sit in the front of the coach. Wear a large brimmed hat (my mistake) I did take my valium with me although I did not take it as my anxiety was sky high and also immodium. I also found my ipod useful. Best of luck and I hope that you enjoy Clacton Lavender.

thanks elizabeth jane i will take plenty of water and a valium with me just in case, i will let you know how i et on

I don't know if there is anyway to get rid of it. I just got back from 11 days in Spain on Wed. I have been up & down abbout it for weeks before it. I somehow managed to get on the flight & althought I was in a high state of anxiety I got through it. BUT, at the other end, when we arrived at my Uncles, I was in a very, very High state of anxiety. I was ill. All I could think was this was a huge mistake & how the heck was I going to survive the next 11 days. I just wanted home & if I could have performed magic I would have been home there & then. I kept feeling like I was in some kind of nightmare & that I was going to wake up in my own bed & realise that it was all a very bad dream. But it was not. My Aunt & uncle made the 4 of us so very welcome but their house was cramped & I was so anxious that I could not stay there. I begged my hubby to take me home but he said no. So we ended up renting our own apt for a wk.

But, even in my anxious state I managed to have some small pockets during the 1st few days where I actually did enjoy myself & the anxiety did go away, albeit for a very short while. But as the holiday went on, my anxiety, although there every day, the periods where I enjoyed myself & relaxed, became longer & the anxiety times less.

I was so far out of my comfort zone that at times I really did think I would go crazy.

When I landed home on Wed, I could not believe that I was home & that I had got through it.

Have I conquered it? NO! But, the one thing that has become clear to me is that no matter how bad my anxiety got & no matter how wretched I felt, it passed....it did come back....but it passed again. I still HATE feeling like that, and I still wish more than anything that I could go on holiday & not feel like that, but I actually did enjoy my holiday at times & I did not go crazy or die from my fear & anxiety.

So, will I do it again? Probably, but as we are not rich, it will be at least a year, maybe longer before I am able to to that again.

So, I am thinking, I must try & go on a train this summer for the day. I feel that if I can do the plane & go to Spain, surely I can do a train to somewhere not far away?

I really don't know if I will ever be able to go on holiday again without feeling that terrible anxiety, but I will always try & remember that I do get through it, I do survive it....well at least I will try to remember that lol lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information