Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Health Worries are ruining my life!! HELP

Unhappy Health Worries are ruining my life!! HELP

Hi

Every day of my life seems to be rule with extreme worry about illness and dying! Since December I have been to the doctors ten times! I have had:

Headaches, convinced it was a brain tumour so saw an optician and GP all ok and since I have stopped worrying about them the headaches have gone!

Leg pains: DVT major stress and saw GP about this, they just said you are 35 things start to hurt more, two docs said the same!!

My biggest worry is cancer, this last month I have been totally obssessed with carcinoid lung tumour (very rare tumour) as I am always coughing, my shoulder hurts and I suffer with extreme facial flushing that seems to be getting worse. I initially saw DR Google and he diagnosed this so now I am totally convinced!!! I have seen the doctor who said the facial flushing involved with carcinoid would also cause stomach upset and wheezing. I don't have these so the dr said no way. My cough is just a tickly throat thing that can last months. I leave the drs feeling good for an hour or so and then WHAM I am at it again.............Flushing can be the only symptom I have read it, the doctor is wrong. Coughing for months is LUNG CANCER and they are just leaving me to die! I keep reading stories on the net about so many younger adults (30s) dying of lung cancer, utterly convinced it is me.

I am a single parent with two kids, the youngest is 5 and I spend my days stressing about how will they cope, who can help etc etc I see my death bed in my mind daily and I am fed up! At work google is always on with my latest pain/worry. I minimize the screen when anyone looks but I am on it constantly!

I am considering paying for a chest x ray to rule out a tumour but my sister said that is not the answer really as I wll just want the next part of me scanning, which I agree is true. I can't bankrupt myself on tests and the GP would send me if I was ill..............being rational there!! But this does not stop me crying, stressing and spending times when I should be enjoying myself worried about illness and death.

HELP HELP HELP

I am on mirtazapine which helps me sleep and I am seeing the Dr again on tuesday about the cough and stress etc

Is there anyone else out there who wakes up every day to the fear of some illness and having this takeover their whole day? any tips to cope?

Thanks

Re: Health Worries are ruining my life!! HELP

I don't tend to worry constantly about my health but I do google if there is anything wrong with me to find out more info about it.I have a black mark on my toenail at the moment and I googled it and it came up with Melanoma of all things,so I went to the docs and she has sent me over the hospital to get it checked.I am absolutely petrified but know that I have to go through this to settle my mind.All my colleagues and family tell me I worry far too much about my health and it hasn't helped being diagnosed with ME last year.Getting back to you I think that it has turned into a habit which has spiralled into an obsession.We all live in a society now that constantly bombards us with health advice and we hear all sorts of horrible tales about accidents,illnesses etc on the news and in papers and magazines.My husband has told me not to buy Chat and take a break anymore as they are full with stories about cancer and all sorts of hideous diseases which is bound to affect me.I think you should say set yourself a time span,say a week where you don't google at all,if you can, get it removed from your computer and then you won't be tempted.After a week you will probably feel ok and know that nothing untoward has happened to you so you are fine and it's just worry spoiling your life.I read Dr Clare Weekes books regarding anxiety and fear and conquering them and I would advise you to get hold of them as they are brilliant.There is a section in there about worrying about illnesses and how to escape and I think you will find it helpful.

stacy i am exactly the same every single day 24 hrs a day!! all you have explained describes me to a tee!! i am now waiting for councelling, and right now my life is a complete misery.

im not sure if my reply is on here but stacy you have my sympathy im at my wits end thinking i have all kinds of illnesses

I am the same way. As soon as my mind is relieved about some dread disease that I am "sure" I had, I go on to something else.

I was to begin counseling yesterday. They called and cancelled the app't because the doctor is going to be away for a while. I have to wait another month!

You are not alone in feeling like this. As you see, there are many of us. We could start a club.

Can i join the club please

We are all in the same boat here, Lately mine has been constant like 24/7, it's tiring and draining. You are only feeding your anxiety by googling and somewhere in your rational mind you know that . Of course you will only be interested in the life threatening illnesses, your anxiety needs drama to keep going ! I saw my doc again today and I am being referred to a phyciatrist which i feel is what i need, if i get the anxiety under control hopefully the rest will follow. You didnt say how long you have been on your meds but give them time to work, and if you feel they are not helping you , go back ( yes again lol ) to your GP, Good luck Paige x

I am so the same way, I have thought of so many illnesses that I must have, and other people just sort of laugh about it, but yes maybe we don't have the illness that we thought we had, but this health anitety that is messing with our heads is making us not turn off our minds and keep focused on that really matters, living! Cause lets face it we only have one shot, but most of is know all of this but it's something that has a hold on us and we feel that we can't get out. I know I think to much, I find books help me, and I know that I need a theripist, but that will happen when I am ready. Good luck and im glade you are sharing your stories, it helps us all!

I would like to join the club please to!!

Quote Originally Posted by scouser1959 View Post
    stacy i am exactly the same every single day 24 hrs a day!! all you have explained describes me to a tee!! i am now waiting for councelling, and right now my life is a complete misery.
    hi, yes me too to a tee, im actually in therapy for it , its helps talkin bout it to her, but diff story wen i leave bk to my self im always at the docs, think there fed up we me now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information