Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Started CBT today - want to share something

Started CBT today - want to share something

Hi,

I have finally, after 18 months started seeing a Clinical Pysch today and he made me do an exercise to show me how powerful our minds are.

He got me to hold my hands up and focus on my fingers for 30 secs. In that time, I could feel tingling, pins and needles, to name just a few things.

All because I was focusing on them. Funnily enough the Pysch felt all that too Our minds are so powerful that they can imagine all kinds of things, and they are real but because we focus on them that is all we can feel.

He then got me to focus behind me knee - and sure enough a sharp pain started up. And funnily enough again, he said he felt something similar.

He also explained to me that our HA is like when you hear a dog bark. Soon, that dog barking is all you can hear. It gets louder and is drowing out all other things. But only because that is all your mind is focussed on.

These two things made so much sense to me, that I had to share them. Sorry if they have been spoken about before!

Now, if only I can remember this in the height of my anxiety lol.
    ''I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me''
    ~Dr Seuss~

Re: Started CBT today - want to share something

Thats a great start to your CBT. I paid for my CBT and could really do witgh a refresher so carry on posting yours and it might help me!

I tried that! me too lol!
    One doctor made me breath trough a straw and spin around in a chair to mimic my anxiety symptoms!
    it did help but at the time i was so not happy haha

I hope my therapist doesn't spin me round in a chair and make me breathe through a straw! I would feel silly!

your exactly right im having cbt and ive had it before but the way your therapist has put it makes alot of sense thankyou for posting that info its really helpful thanks

Hi i would like to share my view on cbt... in my sessions he made me have a panic attack he showed me how to bring a panic attack on oh my word it was awful breathing so quickly for 1 min and there i was in a full blown panic... by doing that it did help me for a while but now i'm back to where i was before with the panic and health anxiety :(

does anyone think cbt works then because ive had it before but i did it on a computer at home and i didnt find it helpfull i also went to see a counsellor for a whille but then she stopped seeing me because she said it was a waste of time going thro it all again and again but to me i think its not right what about anyone else advice please :(

Hi Kingi cbt didn't work for me it helped a little at the time but on the whole it wasn't foe mr but other i know its worked

my work are paying for my cbt buts its been a long struggles as i started it in july!!! yes july, but because of one thing and another i am only on my third session, i have one this friday, the exercise i started the last time was i had to thing about things that made me anxious and rate them from 1-10 with 10 being the highest, i then had to focus on him moving his fingers in front of my eyes and think of a place where i felt safe and think my way through it and then describe to him what i was seeing, then he got me to do the same exercise with something that made me feel anxious and try to work through it thinking of how i could deal with it until it stopped making me feel anxious

if only it was easy to do when i am on my own, as soon as i try the exercise and focus on something, my head gets flooded with everything

will see how my session goes this week

Quote Originally Posted by kingi View Post
    does anyone think cbt works then because ive had it before but i did it on a computer at home and i didnt find it helpfull i also went to see a counsellor for a whille but then she stopped seeing me because she said it was a waste of time going thro it all again and again but to me i think its not right what about anyone else advice please :(
    i had the same thing with a counsellor expect she kept going back to my parents being the issue even though there was a lot of things that were causing my anxiety, eventually she decided counselling was not for me and recommended cbt, which i am trying just now but its hard, but he did say to me different things work for different people

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information