Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: visual disturbance

visual disturbance

Hi guys, I just wonder if anyone can help....
    on 6th october 2009 I had a very strange visual disturbance. it started as a tiny wiggling spot just off the center of both visual fields. it then grew to a water effect around the edges of both eyes, then to a sparkling effect around the edges, similar to a blue sparkler on bonfire night, but it followed the pattern of blood vessels. all the time while this was happening, there were little blind spots dotted around in my central vision. Then it just stopped suddenly, with no headache after or later. This lasted for around 25 mins and as you can imagine guys, it scared the hell outta me!!

Any ideas?

Many thanks!

Re: visual disturbance

sounds like it could have been a silent migraine....this is where you get the aura and visual disturbances but no headache.....hope that helps!!!

I get similar occasionally again with no other symptoms eg headache.The disturbance normally lasts for 15-30 minutes. I diagnosed it as an optical migraine. My optician confirmed this morning that this is what it would be and is nothing to worry about. I believe it is a reaction to certain light conditions ie "dazzle".However if it became like a daily occurence it would be as well to get your Doctor to refer you to your local eye hospital for further investigation
    Regards
    John

Hi there,
    Ive had that a couple of times too, it really scared me. Been told it could be migraines..

Migraine Aura! it's scary as hell isn't it!
    i often get it without the actual migraine pain!
    try FeverFew, also called Migrafew in Boots.
    it's a herb it helps prevent migraines.
    i've been getting them since age 12.

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

I agree with the above posts: very likely to be migraine auras which can occur with/without an actual headache.

Try to see if it's being set off by anything you eat or drink.

Never Surrender, Comrade

thank you so much for your input guys!

on the day of the aura I had been working all day on my feet and hadnt eaten since dinner time as this happened at about 6pm. I havnt had another since.

I read that "scintillating scotoma" happens in migraine aura but it did not look like a flashing c shape moving across the visual field.

There is epilepsy in the family so you can imagine why I am so worked up over it!

After me saying that, is it still agreed by you guys that it is migraine aura?

Thanks again!

I have had this on several occasions. It does scare the hell out of you and you always are scared it will happen again. I have consulted two doctors and also eye doctors and they all said the same thing. Its called an optical migraine..There is no pain associated with it but its scary just the same.. I started having them about five years ago out of the blue and have one every once in awhile and I hate them .. I have been fortunate not to have had any recently but always worried I will again. Hope ou feel better soon.. Michael

Hi,

I get these and find it really strange. I've had zig zag lines, partial blindness where I can see out of half of each eye and they're not all followed by a headache. The reassuring thing is that it's not serious. I sometimes think stress causes them.
    Myra

Thank you very much for your help everyone!
    I'm still battling the other anxiety symptoms which are now worse than before the visual.

I'm seeing all kinds of wierd stuff in my eyes and feeling lots of different sensations all the time leading me to panic, all due to the fear of getting epilepsy, sometimes I feel as if my life is one constant siezure aura, its so depressing!!
    I just cant wait to be free of it!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information