Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Citalopram - How long can it take?

Robbo, did you take any time off work, and if so how long was it befor eyou felt able to return?

Hi arclite , sorry its taken me so long to reply i have only just seen your question.[8)]
    With me, my panic attacks started when i was on holiday in lanzarote in july and i was in one of their hospitals for about five days. When i got home i had the rest of the week off work but went back on the following monday. I had a few more panic attacks and then i developed what i think is GAD with all the horrible symptoms like dizziness, Nausea , headaches , insomnia etc. After about 5 weeks i went on to citalopram and the odd diazepam. The panic attacks stopped but the anxiety symptoms continued And they do ease over time. Im at my worst in the mornings. But as for time off work, i did continue to go but do have the odd day off but make sure im back again the next day. I suppose ive had about 3 weeks off in total if you add all the days up.
    My advise would be to try and go to work, i know its hard but we dont need the extra worrying about losing our jobs etc.
    At work i listen to one of Megs anxiety cd`s at least twice a day and i also do abdominal breathing throughout the the day at various times and just think of nice things to do when you get home in the evening.
    It is hard especially when the alarm goes off in the morning but it is getting easier and somehow the day is never as bad as you anticipate it is going to be.
    If you can then try and go, and good luck

Take care
    Robbo

just wanted to share my citalopram experiences with everyone - been taking them since new years day and altho the first week was still quite bad -with lots of PA's, they;re now beginning to settle me and i do feel less anxious..still get a lot of the physical symptoms associated with PA's but feel more confident i can bring myself down as it were before they fully take hold of me...

bit worried about coming off them (as i only have 28 day supply) and am about to start new job as lost my last one thru PA's so may ask for an extension on them to get me into a new routine.

still got some diazepam for emergencies but find i havent taken one in 6 days now ...

Hi everyone,

Arclite, glad you are feeling a little better than when you started the tablets.

Darren 76, I guess you'd be better seing the doctor again because usually I think that antidepressants are continued for at least 3months after your symptoms have gone or become managable, or longer depending on you circumstances. Obviously everyone is different and for all I know your GP may have only prescribed them for the month with no further prescriptions in mind. Usually the GP needs to know how you are responding to medication before repeating the prescription that would be why you only got 28 days worth initially.

If I were you I'd see about getting more, especially with the new job coming up.

Good luck with the job

Louisa

hi there,
    i started on 20 mg in june, then in november went up to 30mg then last week went up to 40mg. i'm not too sure if they are working. when i first started them my doctor told me i should give it at least 6 months for them to work. i think this is going to be a drawn out process for me. maybe talk to your doctor about how long he or she thinks you are going to be on them.
    2 steps back 1 step foward, that how it goes isn't it. just let yourself takes its own time.

good luck

Baby Steps...that's all you have to remember.

If I look at my progress on a daily basis since I started taking these then it wouldn't look like I've got very far. But when you think that five weeks ago I was 6 stone 1 lbs, bed ridden and unable to eat, then it's clear I've come along way.

Personally, I felt the medication kick in around the 4 week mark. I still get the panic attack symptoms, but they are not out of control as much and I deal with them alot better than i did before. When I'm feeling good, I am alot happier than I was before the medication, to the point where I'm alittle hypoactive.

Darren76, as already mentioned, I'd go back to your doctors, Citalopram isn't a quick fix drug and it will take afew weeks to have full effect.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information