Thread: Do you have bad habits to make yourself feel better?

Do you have bad habits to make yourself feel better?

Anxiety and the depression etc that comes with it can be horrible, Do you have bad habits in order to make yourself feel better about life?

I'll explain what I mean, I have a few,

A major one for me would be over spending, If I'm feeling down I buy stuff I don't need online, then I feel all guilty about doing it, then the item arrives I get all excited about it arriving, being a guy its usually a gadget of some sort, but once it arrives thats the fun over and its usually on ebay within a month at a loss, and ebay in itself is another diversion from my issues, the thrill of buying and selling and making money etc even though I'm making a loss 99% of the time. Needless to say I've got into a fair bit of debt with this by obtaining credit cards etc.

Another one I have is over eating, I will eat healthy all day then come home and eat nothing but junk and even go to the chippy a few times per week, again that comes under overspending and the thrill of spending money.

I also drink, not heavily, every Saturday night but again it diverts from my anxiety etc.

I also smoke, I'm not really getting anything out of that, I think its just a bad habit.

What about you?

Re: Do you have bad habits to make yourself feel better?

smoking till my chest hurts when Im really anxious!
    coffee, only two cups a day but I always look forward to my cup of coffee!
    Spacing out all day on the internet as a distraction from my anxiety.

Staying up till 4 or 5 in the morning doing pointless things on the internet. I then don't get up till about 12 and I don't sleep very well so I am permanently tired and am not awake at useful times. Also I tend to eat at silly hours of the morning and just before bed, despite knowing that I shouldn't because I get night time reflux.

For me, I comfort eat, which is embarrassing. Feel so worse afterwards.

I suppose I do.. I smoke,I order things online."better now" but have done this in excess at times.. I can't drink im allergic to alcohol..I do love banana nut bread and also usually eat at least one piece of this a day .I suppose the smoking is probably the most destructive thing I do to cope with anxiety .But then again I guess I would really have to sit down and think about the things I have done to cope..

Dont know if this is what you mean, but I got little habbits like nail bitting, scratching, shaking my leg (like tapping it, nervously), used to drink alot to get rid of anxiety, but I thought if this carrys on 'll eventually become an alcoholic, and have TWO problems.
    Unspoken; I do that too, stay up really late, just because if I sleep I'll have to wake. Once I just stayed up all night on the net! (no, not doing that!)

i tidy my bedroom. not that obsessively because i know that would be a problem, just once and im happy. it calms me a little....

Quote Originally Posted by NotResponding View Post
    Dont know if this is what you mean, but I got little habbits like nail bitting, scratching, shaking my leg (like tapping it, nervously), used to drink alot to get rid of anxiety, but I thought if this carrys on 'll eventually become an alcoholic, and have TWO problems.
    Unspoken; I do that too, stay up really late, just because if I sleep I'll have to wake. Once I just stayed up all night on the net! (no, not doing that!)
    I've stayed up all night a number of times. Part of the problem is that I get horribly vivid nightmares which make me not want to sleep. But also I WANT to be useless during the day, so I don't have to do anything I'm scared of.

I used to bite my nails before I became too scared to put my fingers near my mouth because I could get ill from doing so. All the government's public health advertising has made me really paranoid and scared of bacteria/viruses being on my hands So from one anxiety problem to another, really!

I know what you mean about not wanting to become dependent on substances because it would be another problem to deal with. I am scared of becoming hooked on tranquilizers, otherwise I would take them more often to help me get to sleep. Alcohol and smoking give me acid reflux and I am emetophobic so I'm scared to do either. IBS means I can't eat junk food. So apart from bingeing on breakfast cereal or toast, I can't really have many vices.

Oh but breakfast cereal is not a bad thing to be binging on! Toast is a good time killer lol! I bite my nails but I wouldn't do it after handling anything like ykno, dog's bowl, or bacon, anything dirty. Wash hands like 3-5 times a day, aint worried, but that's like a OCDish thing isnt it. I heard hypnotherapy might help with nightmares, cant think of anything that could cure bad dreams other than that.
    Last edited by NotResponding; 06-02-10 at 23:36.

Thread Information