Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Impending doom - How to explain?

Impending doom - How to explain?

I know that many of us with health anxiety are sure that we are suffering some sort of illness or condition that will cause us to die. I have headaches and worry that I will drop dead of an anyeurysm. I have had 3 CT scans and been checked out etc. and while I'm not panicking and I'm writing this, I know it's the panic that causes the headaches (well, at I'm at least 95 per cent sure)

When I'm panicking however, reason goes out the window I am sure I am about to die and tell my boyfriend & parents I am definately about to die. It's really hard for them to understand how a (reasonably) intelligent girl can lose all reason and be so sure she's about to shuffle off this mortal coil. Can anyone help me to explain to my loved ones about the feeling that death is iminent? I'm really struggling to help them understand. Thanks.

"This too, shall pass"

I know what you mean - they just can't undestand that feeling if "I'm going to die".

Perhaps you should introduce them to the site so they can read that home page and get an idea of what these conditions mean and how they make people feel.

Annie x

Maybe you need to look at it differently too and start to recognise that you are not completely right and you are not going to die imminently, its just a feeling.

We have all felt that way in panic time and again, but feelings are sooooo not facts and often con us into believing worse case scenarios when in fact we are still very much alive and doing ok a day later but say the same the next time and in order to improve you need to trust that panic is not harmful to you and will pass each and every time without death.

They do need to understand that you are very afraid and need lots of help and you need to realize you are not dying. Do send them to our home pages or print some out for them .

Health Anxiety

Common Symptoms of Panic Attacks, Anxiety, Phobias and OCD.

First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety

Strategies for coping
    Some of my symptoms and explinations.
    very strange panic attack symptoms
    Actute Anxiety,given ZISPIN ???? HELP
    bowels

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

i too have this feeling alot it is really hard to cope with every day .ask your doc about some counsilling that is what i am waiting on.i hope you get over this soon.take care marcia

marcia lowe

I think meg is right in that we need to realize that we are not really going to die... However, you are totally right in that in the moment of panic all reason goes out the window. I had the same problem as you... But recently I think that my husband is getting it. I told him to imagine he is about to fall off of a cliff. He is hanging by a thin string. I said I feel that kind of terror on a daily basis. While I know I am not actually in danger, my body doesnt, and it behaves as if I am literly about to die. This helped him understand that while we know we are okay... in the moment of panic, it is literly as if we are about to die...and if you tell the guy hanging from the cliff that its all in his head and he is fine I dont think he will take to it so well. In a sense, I think we are the same.

"I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance, never settle for the path of least resistance... When you get the chance to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance"

"This too shall pass..."

Thanks everyone for your replies, I borrowed your analogy "ItWillPass" and I think it helped somewhat, though I don't think anyone could possibly understand unless they'd been through what we have. I WILL get him to look at this site too, he hears about how fantastic it is often enough, thanks Tomino, and Meg, as always thanks so much for the advice...you are so wise!

"This too, shall pass"

Hi, I can understand what you all are saying.

I feel like this aswell, its horrible. I have had councilling, which did help me, but I still have the thoughts, that I have some kind of illness and I waiting for something bad to happen. Its a case with me of
    "how can there be nothing wrong with me? Any slight problem has will be the outcome death"

Feel free to PM me, if you want to talk.

Emma xx

Keep focused, keep positive.

I was with someone most of yesterday who rang me in a complete doozy of a panic saying death was imminent at 10:30 am.

We walked 4.5 miles at my pace- did some massage, had a chat, spoke to partner, had food , went to spa , did sauna, swimming and jaccuzi and then had an after dinner drink and left late last night very much alive.

Whilst we all feel it is an imminent death, it is really vital that we try to downgrade it so our mind and body doesn't believe it and respond accordingly.

Learning to turn around your thoughts at a moments notice and as soon as you feel something that is scary, kick in your rational mind with any and every evidence you have to counter it is so important.
    Even if you can start to put doubt into your mind to lessen the internal messages and subsequent response it will help enormously.

I know how hard it is - I've been there many times, but in order to make steady recovery it is vital to change and challenge these statements.

Lets try to keep our thoughts in perspective
    Mind Games
    obsessive thoughts & anxiety
    Still suffering this damn "suggestive" thing..
    How to CURE yourself ! The definitive guide here..
    Its happening again !
    Things to consider for success!

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Cheers meg, great links there, really helpful.

As always I must say I am astounded by how very wise you are. The person who was panicking yesterday was very lucky to have your help, as is everbody on this site who you help so much.

"This too, shall pass"

This horrible feeling of Doom is pretty scary stuff! For me, it gets so intence, I feel like I need to run out of the house screaming! I have had anxiety attacks that put me to the floor and then I start feeling that if I don't get up and walk or go out side that Ill just die right where I am. One time I had this so bad, I grabbed a pillow and screamed my head off into it! That was last year and so far I have not had that feeling as bad. The only thing that helped me is Medication that I am sadly not on anymore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information