Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Termination and going on the pill (sensitive)

Termination and going on the pill (sensitive)

I just wanted to warn that this is a sensitive post, as it is about abortion.

I had an abortion 8 weeks ago. My first period last month was VERY heavy, I was gushing everytime I stood up for 2 days which made me feel very tired and sick, it has also left me quite anxious about this month. I also had alot of pain. I have had heavy periods and pain in the past, not quite as heavy as that.

Has anyone here had a termination? and if so did your periods return to normal and become less heavy? My GP seems to think they will improve in a couple of months.

I am considering going on the pill. My GP tried to put me on it last summer as I have suspected endometreosis. Every month I bled heavy for the first 2 days and was in agony, I would have to take to my bed, no uni/work. My GP said that wasn't fair on me and that I couldn't take to my bed every month, I was the same around ovulation, lots of pain.

Would the pill cause a lighter bleed and less pain? My GP suggested loestrin 20 last year.

Re: Termination and going on the pill (sensitive)

I have never had a termintaion but after having my first period after giving birth to my 2 children i had the very heavy gushing for a few weeks so i'm guessing it's just your body getting back to normal, your hormones have changed a lot too x

Thanks.

It is horrible isn't it, everytime I moved I felt it gush, and it was so dark, yuk!

I saw the GP yesterday and he gave me transexamic acid to take 2-3 times a day when my period arrives this weekend. Is it likely to stop the period or just lighten it?

Anyone any experience of this drug?

He said to go back in 2 weeks and he will then put me on the pill to help with my periods.

Hi there, I have had a termination, and had similar heavey bleeding just after, however i went on the pill straight after as suggested by my doctor and i found that my period after that was heavyiish but it did sort me right back out and next month its was less heavey and not much pain at all. No experience of transexamic acid though sorry.

Thanks Kate.

I saw my GP again today as I really want to start the pill so that I can get lighter periods. She agreed I should start it this month, as I have low iron so heavy bleeds are not good for me at all. She has put me on loestrin 20.

She was really nice and totally put my mind at rest about the DVT risk.

She said I was doingthe right thing going on the pill to help with my endometreosis and the blood flow. She said to start it the first day of my period at the weekend, she said it may even help this cycle?? so it may lighten the flow, I didn't think it would this month?

The transexamic acid (Ponstan) you start to take 3 days before your period is due and then agin for the first couple of days of your period. I was put on this years ago to make my period lighter and it does work. I'm not on the pill because of the problem with my periods and even though still painful for the first 2 days very light.

Sorry you are or arent on the pill? If so do you find it makes them alot lighter?

Oh he said to start the acid once I was on my period. Does it make it much lighter?

Yes the pill has definately made my periods much lighter. It took about 3 different ones to get the right one. Microgynon was the worst for me but that is usually the one a Dr will prescribe first because it's the cheapest. I'm now on Loestrin 30 and my periods are much more light. I used to wear night time towels for the first 3 days now I don't need to.

Really hope your periods settle down soon. They say allow 3 cycles on the pill for them to settle down, mine took about that once I found the right pill.

If you are flooding when you stand up one thing you could maybe use is the mooncup. I don't use them myself but they help a lot of people who have heavy periods. You just insert it when your period starts and empty and rinse every few hours (like changing a pad or tampon).

Thanks Cat,

I have heard of that, would it stop the gushing sensation? I hate that.

My GP has given me loestrin 20, aparently it's one of the best.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information