View Poll Results: Does anyone else in your family have panic?

Voters
375. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mother

65 17.33%
  • Father

36 9.60%
  • Sibling

33 8.80%
  • Grandparent (Maternal)

13 3.47%
  • Grandparent (Paternal)

8 2.13%
  • Child

16 4.27%
  • More than one

101 26.93%
  • Other

11 2.93%
  • None

92 24.53%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else in your family have panic?

Does anyone else in your family have panic?

Hey everyone! I'm just interested in the hereditary link to anxiety. In my family my mother, my father, my nan (maternal) and my grandfather (paternal) suffer from anxiety, or what they call "nerve" trouble - what hope did I have ). The upside is if I run out of medication I have backup!

"This too, shall pass"

my mum's agoraphobic, i trie to help out,dropped out of school and shopped,cleaned etc when she was unable. eventually she began to depend n me and didnt feel comfortable when i was out. she'd confide in me etc try to explain.
    Then one summer day i went to post a letter, and i was wearing a strappy top and suddenly felt very aware of my bumbs! (puberty happened while i was hiding out with mum to keep her calm). I didnt like it and felt very paranoid. My sister posted the letter.
    The next time i went out was to the shop, i hyperventalated. I avoided going out after that, but i still went with my dad in the car. But mum didnt like me going so i had to say no to avoid feeling guilty.
    I think its more learned than 'inherited/genetically passed'

Hi chellebelle

You didn't leave an option to say 'No' in your poll. To my knowledge no one else in my family has anxiety and/or depression issues.

I don't think my problems are genetic but more environmental and learned due to circumstances and issues from childhood.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

What's interesting about this one is that when I described the things that have caused me severe anxiety to my dad, he has told me how he went through similar worries but it never actually escalated to anxiety. I've always been very much my fathers son and although I couldn't say that my anxiety has been hereditary (as my dad never suffered from it), the worries and thought processes that led to my anxiety do seem to have been inherited from him.

Hi
    My eldest brother has always been a shy type. He definitely suffers with a level of anxiety. He has never had panic attacks but I see him visibly shaking sometimes in certain situations. However, he refuses to admit that it's a problem - however I know that it has stopped him from doing lots of things in his life.
    Love to all
    Yvonne

Y Goble

Let me just clarify, while its seems to me there is a hereditary link to anxiety (though not in all cases, hence the "none" in family) I agree wholeheartedly that there are myriad causes and contributing factors. Since there is such a strong link in my family I am just interested about everyone else. Thanks for voting and for your input...I just wish NOBODY had anxiety problems.

"This too, shall pass"

Indeed!

My Mum, Dad, Sister and Nan all have problems with IBS, Panic Attacks and Anxiety.

It's in my Genes...

Thanks everyone who have taken part in the poll, the results have been really interesting!

"This too, shall pass"

My mother, grandmother and aunt ( all maternal side ) had/ have anxiety/panic.

Florence.

*** Instead of giving myself reasons why I can't, I give myself reasons why I can. ***

Hi
    My mum, nan (maternal side), and all 4 sisters have suffered at some time. The only people not affected in the family are the two brothers!

pinklady1

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information