Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My GP has said I can stop taking mirtazapine without Tapering. Has anybody Done This?

Smile Re: My GP has said I can stop taking mirtazapine without Tapering. Has anybody Done T

Hello people!..... Having been on a med called Started taking 30mg Mirtazapine about 5 months ago, after I had a very serious episode which included hospitalization for a week, as I was harm to myself ...but not others.... I had been on Lexapro (escitalopram oxalate) for 9yrs unchecked...just kept taking them because I was supposed too.
    I have been involved in weekly intense therapy with my Psychologist, trying to function and concentrate on my mental and physical health, resigned from my job which was the reason for my ...'loosing it'...(I am sure you all know what I mean by that)...
    I was given the Mirtazapine and felt I was sleeping my life away since the episode, so the doctor changed it too 15mg about two months ago.
    In the mids of this, I managed to rebuild and start a new job, this I found very hard, as it is a late night shift that means if I take my meds I get incredibly sleepy.
    Over the last two to three weeks, I have for one reason or another either forgotten to take my meds in one to two day successions, or when I remembered I again found myself yet again, sleeping my life away.

So now, here it is, I have been without meds now for 5days, the only side effect is that I have to be aware of my reactions to people, as in when people say something, I find myself taking things the wrong way and or being what some call 'too sensitive'....
    I have been well aware of my emotions/reactions with this illness for more than 15yrs, so I can tell if I am moving towards a down hill slide mentally....
    One side effect I have found for me doing this,is I have had an unusually erratic change in my libido....ie- sexual needs are of paramount importance to me....but so far...the world is a better place.
    Next week it may be different, who knows, but right now I have my fingers crossed and am taking on life day by day, as it comes.....

Re: My GP has said I can stop taking mirtazapine without Tapering. Has anybody Done T

In the past I've found mixing multi vits in with anti depressants can give some odd effects. My guess was that I was missing a few substrates needed which the vits then supplied. My point being, don't start the vits the same day you start to taper the mirt or you won't know which side effects have been caused by the mirt and which by the vitamins. Maybe start the vitamins a week or two beforehand just to seperate the two issues out.

Re: My GP has said I can stop taking mirtazapine without Tapering. Has anybody Done T

hi i have been on mirtazapine for around a year and a half on and off but more on nowadays,i am curious too think there making me depressed and over thinking everything and i cant think straight or properly too.is it a good idea too just stop taking them? i really have a gut feeling its zispin that is doing this too me more or less 100%.im not suicidle i just need too sort this out i am 24 years old and shouldnt be on a tablet too make or keep me happy,my vision is blurred too which is making my eye sight bad aswel?thank you for your time

Hi,

Yes I totally agree that we need to taper or gradually reduced the dose until you fully stop the medication. This medication helps us to manage the and supply the needed serotonin or dopamine that sends signal to the brain to normalized everything to cure depression or any anxiety. If this stops abruptly there is a possibility that we will going to encounter imbalance in our body that causes this illness. Better ask and follow your GP about it.

Hi Egghead,

It is definitely not a good idea to just stop. If you do stop, you should taper down slowly. You should also talk to your doctor, who can monitor what's happening. My guess is that your doctor would probably prefer a change of medication, rather than no medication.

Being med free is a goal that we all aim at, but there is nothing wrong with taking meds at any age if you feel that they are having a positive effect.

Quote Originally Posted by hanshan View Post
    Hi Egghead,

It is definitely not a good idea to just stop. If you do stop, you should taper down slowly. You should also talk to your doctor, who can monitor what's happening. My guess is that your doctor would probably prefer a change of medication, rather than no medication.

Being med free is a goal that we all aim at, but there is nothing wrong with taking meds at any age if you feel that they are having a positive effect.
    I second everything Hanshan has said here.

I stopped Sertraline cold turkey and ended up in hospital for a week. Whilst I was in hospital they put me on the Mirtazapine.

I tried to stop my Mirtazapine in a similar way about a week ago. I was fine for about 4 days and then found myself heading down a very slippery slope - massive anxiety and nausea.

There's two facets to the story though - the underlying problems you were originally put on the medication for and any discontinuation syndrome you may experience coming off a drug.

Tapering is the *only* way to be sure which facet you face.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information