Thread: For everyone very panicked and anxious about heart attack and cardio problems

For everyone very panicked and anxious about heart attack and cardio problems

Hi Everyone

As most of you know I have been very anxious to the point of stopping everything that I did in my home / family life due to the fear of having a major cardiac event or a heart attack. I am 26 year old with three children no heart problems in the family other than I have suffered with panic attacks and anxiety.

So for all of you out there that are petrified of having a heart attack, I thought I would share some research that I did with you all so that you can put things into perspective and not worry about this so much as I know that so many people do.

In GREAT BRITAIN EVERY YEAR 275,000 PEOPLE WILL HAVE A HEART ATTACK, I WILL GET THE SCARY BIT OUT OF THE WAY FIRST, BUT THEN YOU HAVE TO REALISE THAT THERE ARE 62 MILLION PEOPLE IN GREAT BRITAIN, SO YOU TAKE THE SMALL NUMBER 275000 AND THEN DIVIDE THAT BY THE LARGE 62 MILLION THEN TIMES THAT BY ONE HUNDRED, THEN YOU ARE LEFT WITH THE PERCENTAGE OF PEOPLE IN GREAT BRITAIN, I.E. , ENGLAND, WALES, SCOTLAND AND NORTHERN ISLAND............AND THAT PERCENT IS 0.44%........SO TRY NOT TO WORRY TOO MUCH NOT EVEN 1% OF PEOPLE WILL HAVE HEART ATTACKS OR A CARDIAC EVENT IN A YEAR, THE ONLY REASON THEY GO ON ABOUT BIG SCARY NUMBERS OF PEOPLE HAVING A HEART ATTACK IS DUE TO THE FACT THAT BIGGER PEOPLE COST THE GOVERMENT LOTS OF MONEY EACH YEAR AND THEY ARE TRYING TO SCARE PEOPLE INTO STAYING WITHIN THE HEALTHY RANGE SO THEY DONT HAVE TO SPEND SO MUCH.

So now you have read this I hope you feel better and can relax it took me 10 mins to work this out and I have almost forgot my fear of it and its only been 8 weeks since the fear took over my life, you can even have a go yourself and see the numbers in front of you.

Just enjoy yourself, Be healthy I hope this helps kay sera sera - you know the rest!!!!!

Re: For everyone very panicked and anxious about heart attack and cardio problems

You have done your research havent you hun. It does put things into perspective. Doesnt stop me worrying though hehe xx

Re: For everyone very panicked and anxious about heart attack and cardio problems

Quote Originally Posted by sarahg03 View Post
    Hi Everyone

As most of you know I have been very anxious to the point of stopping everything that I did in my home / family life due to the fear of having a major cardiac event or a heart attack. I am 26 year old with three children no heart problems in the family other than I have suffered with panic attacks and anxiety.

So for all of you out there that are petrified of having a heart attack, I thought I would share some research that I did with you all so that you can put things into perspective and not worry about this so much as I know that so many people do.

In GREAT BRITAIN EVERY YEAR 275,000 PEOPLE WILL HAVE A HEART ATTACK, I WILL GET THE SCARY BIT OUT OF THE WAY FIRST, BUT THEN YOU HAVE TO REALISE THAT THERE ARE 62 MILLION PEOPLE IN GREAT BRITAIN, SO YOU TAKE THE SMALL NUMBER 275000 AND THEN DIVIDE THAT BY THE LARGE 62 MILLION THEN TIMES THAT BY ONE HUNDRED, THEN YOU ARE LEFT WITH THE PERCENTAGE OF PEOPLE IN GREAT BRITAIN, I.E. , ENGLAND, WALES, SCOTLAND AND NORTHERN ISLAND............AND THAT PERCENT IS 0.44%........SO TRY NOT TO WORRY TOO MUCH NOT EVEN 1% OF PEOPLE WILL HAVE HEART ATTACKS OR A CARDIAC EVENT IN A YEAR, THE ONLY REASON THEY GO ON ABOUT BIG SCARY NUMBERS OF PEOPLE HAVING A HEART ATTACK IS DUE TO THE FACT THAT BIGGER PEOPLE COST THE GOVERMENT LOTS OF MONEY EACH YEAR AND THEY ARE TRYING TO SCARE PEOPLE INTO STAYING WITHIN THE HEALTHY RANGE SO THEY DONT HAVE TO SPEND SO MUCH.

So now you have read this I hope you feel better and can relax it took me 10 mins to work this out and I have almost forgot my fear of it and its only been 8 weeks since the fear took over my life, you can even have a go yourself and see the numbers in front of you.

Just enjoy yourself, Be healthy I hope this helps kay sera sera - you know the rest!!!!!

You also have to look at age ranges - we're both in our 20s. I am guessing that the number of people in their 70s/80s is FAR higher, so the probability becomes even less for younger people.

Mind you, when I'm having a chest tightness episode which extends to my neck and temples, those statistics go right out the window.

hi mate that's a good positive statement i enjoyed reading it thanx

Should have stopped when I read the first bit hun....felt quite cheered as this has been a major problem for me all my life. Wish I'd thought of it 40 years ago.....it would have been really comforting. However, I am now approaching the FAR bigger risk age so..........!!! Seriously, I think it is really helpful for the younger sufferers of Health Anxiety to see it in this light so well done for researching it.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahg03 View Post
    Hi Everyone

Good post. Some of us are quite comforted (or worried) by statistics, crazy as that may be. But thats slightly reassuring.
    And at your age you definately dont need to worry, its when you get to my age (39) you will look back & think geez I should have chilled out back then! And I expect by the time I get to 49 I will be thinking the same thing about my age! lol
    xxxxx

Isnt it strange how many of us including me worry so much about our hearts and trying to put it all into perspective can be so difficult. I dont worry about having a stroke of if I might get cancer so I had a discussion with my wife why so many of this generation has this health anxiety issue. We both came to the same conclusion that it is probably because we are being bombarded by the media into being hyperviligant about symptoms and lifestyle issues relating to heart health. Not a day goes by without an advert or a television documentary about heart issues. Yes there are ones about stroke but they dont seem to be so pessimistic regarding outcomes.

I am better in a lot of respects regarding the above because I have come to realise that the only control I have is to not smoke and try and keep my weight within certain parameters. Exerecise is an issue as I have ME/CFS but I do what I can do. Other than that genetics play a huge part and that is beyond my control so what is the point of worrying as that can play a part long term in heart health.

So my advice folks is enjoy life, laugh a lot and take each day as it comes. Thats all we can do and be supportive to each oter on this site.

All the best folks
    Ron

Thread Information