Thread: Anxiety barking?

Question Anxiety barking?

Hi all,
    I think we have some anxiety issues, and I'm hoping someone here can help.
    Jeffy (My daschaund) and I have lived in the same house for his entire life - 12 years. Last month I had to move to an apartment. Now, when I try to leave the apartment without him, he starts whining and barking a very loud distress bark the moment the door closes. It seems to be anxiety about me leaving him alone in the new, strange place; the bark sounds absolutely desperate.
    I take him many places with me, but there are many more that don't allow him! I need to get him to understand that he will have to stay alone in the apartment for a few hours at a time - he never used to have a problem at the house, and I was away at work for 8 hours a day.
    I have no idea how to get this idea across to him. Can anyone help?

Re: Anxiety barking?

He is probably just finding his new home with its new sounds and smells a bit overwhelming. You could put one of your jumpers in his basket or wherever he sleeps so he has a familiar scent when you leave. Dogs are very sensitive to your mood as you must know by now so don't make a big deal about leaving him. Put the radio or tv on for company then slip out. He will settle, but if he feels it bothers you then it is not in his interest to stop as he gets attention....hope you are both settled soon.

Veronica

Re: Anxiety barking?

hi, have you tried a DAP plug in.Its full of pheromones that make dogs relax ans curb anxiety.I use one every year around november to stop my dog getting anxious with the fire works.There is also some drops you can buy to put into there food alot like rescue remedy to help relax them

Thread Information