Thread: Arrgh...food contamination fears + food packaging foam?

Arrgh...food contamination fears + food packaging foam?

I can't believe I've reached the point where I'm actually asking this. It seems mad, but I'm still worried. If anyone could give any reassurance..I apologise in advance, its ridiculous.

I heated the oven to cook a readymade pizza this evening. I opened the oven door and slide the pizza off its foam-y food packaging tray onto the shelf, wiggled it around a bit then pulled out foam tray and shut door.

Then I noticed that the back of the tray, where it had come into contact with the oven shelf, had melted slightly...as in three "melt marks", a couple of inches each, on one edge of the tray.

So I'm thinking..I didn't eat the part of the pizza I may have pushed in with the melted part, but what if the foam melted onto the shelf, then gave off fumes..or something.

I know its totally mad. But I worry I'm poisoned in some way now. My partner, understandably, is sympathetic but cannot relate to anxiety over such a stupid thing...

Re: Arrgh...food contamination fears + food packaging foam?

I had to smile..my goodnesss they are exactly like me.. Im always worried not ocd about it but always suspect something isn't just right with food items..I have thrown away things because they didn't seem right.. and never regretted it .. I have been always like my mother called me as a child"winky" about food items and drinks..If it doesn't taste right it goes out.. Yesterday my wife brought me a piece of banana nut bread .. and I swear it had a little taste of raw fish which we did have some fish in the fridge but the cake was sealed in plastic outside the fridge so there is no way..

Anyway long story short I realized that I had put some antibotic cream on the side of my lip where my lips have cracked from the cold and I had swiped the cake over that side of my mouth thus making it taste weird..But I didn't realize it tasted bad until I had already eaten it but last night I ate another piece and still here lol.. it didn't taste bad thus I contaminated it myself lol

But yes I do understand exactly how you feel and you can ask my wife Im very much weary of things that don't look right or taste right or they aren't the way I think they should be.. So you aren't alone..

Re: Arrgh...food contamination fears + food packaging foam?

i can totally relate to this.
    if i see something i dont like the look of or see something after ive cooked or during cooking i chuck it.
    i think all food and drink is poisoned and i struggle ll the time to eat and it becomes very costly.
    are you referring to that white base they put on the bottom of pizzas that was on the oven?
    i have done this and realised after it ws cookes that i had left the foam plate in there an di went absolutely loopy and flipped out cudnt handle it i thought even if i cleaned it thoroughly over and over the next thing to go in would be poisoned.

another time i was cooking chicken and left the giblets in. after eating the chicken i realised and someone said ``your going to keel over and die``!
    bcos i was so bad at this time i believed him and thought i would die.

you may find it useful to read my post `contamination and harming fears`.

hope this helps

Thread Information