Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CBT - Questions

Re: CBT - Questions

Hi to everybody that is waiting or undergoing CBT.

There are some excellent books which explain the principle and practice of CBT. They also give you some excercises to recognise and change perspectives that lead to anxiety and depression.

I partiularly recommend two books:

David Burns MD - Feeling Good

Dr. Burns describes how to combat feelings of depression and anxiety so you can develop greater self-esteem.The book also explains the benefits and negative side effect of medication.

Anthony Robbins - Unlimited Power
    This book is looking at positive health from a NeuroLingustic Programming(NLP) Perspective. It is highly readable and gives you valuable tips on how to change your negative thoughts to enhance your well-being.

Both books have titles which I personally do not like too much but the content is much better. They are a helpful tool for anybody considering or undergoing CBT. I'm sure that you can get them on Amazon ( you probably find them second hand too).

Hi,

Try a book called 'Mind Over Mood' (ISBN: 978-0-89862-821-0), which is about £10 on Amazon. It's fairly short, very accessible and helps you use CBT to work through your problems with examples and worksheets.

There are also DVDs and CDs you can buy which let you try CBT cheaply so you can get started straight away. Research by the NICE has shown that Computerised CBT is very effective at addressing root causes of problems as opposed to merely relieving the symptoms.

Hope this helps!

Herbert

Hi there... I have started a thread on this therapy forum called CBT - A FRESH START. Hopefully it will help reduce your concerns if you can wade through some of my diatribe. I've just had weekly session four. I had my assessment within 24 hours of making the decision, ringing a proper clinic and I pay £46 for each hour. I go weekly and will work it as long as it seems of benefit. There is no stigma, I had NO Diazepam after leaving yesterday. It is MY time with a non judgemental person. And Ms CBT is a very valuable part of my effort to help myself get better. I have no hesitation in recommending the process although I can see from postings here at NMP that it is not for everyone. I hope this doesn't sound flippant.. I am as skint as everyone else in this recession but "you'll find the monies and make them a priority IF you discover that CBT works for you". What can possibly be better than finding ourselves and living our lives richly and with purpose again.. not only for us but those that care for us and those we care for. All the best... WillLatch.

I must be one of the lucky ones. I'm doing CBT from the NHS for free, once a week for 1hr sessions.

I have done CBT before for 2.5yrs but I felt recently I needed to get help again.

CBT is really beneficial it's very important part of the transition into getting well again. Meds alone won't teach you anything. CBT gives you the knowledge and tools to apply to your troubles. I found the combination of meds and CBT gave me the best results rather than CBT on its own. Still, in the near future I may just do without the meds and just do CBT but we'll see how it goes.

I found CBT beneficial with meds -but you have to work at it. There are some good self help books that I used in conjunction with CBT BUT they are equally good on their own if you cant get to see a therapist.

You can get them from Amazon and they are part of the Books on Prescription from the NHS Range - Helen Kennerley - Overcoming Anxiety - Books 1 - 3. They are a 3 part programme based on CBT Techniques - they have multiple large format sheets you need to fill in as well as loads of helful tips and advice.

I did have private medical insurance and my doctor (who was terrible) referred me to the Priory for CBT. Unfortunately I could not even get to town let alone 60 miles on a train so I paid for CBT myself locally.

I saw a lovely therapist on the Herts/Beds border. She charged £46 per hour.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information