Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iron deficiency linked to depression

iron deficiency linked to depression

http://ezinearticles.com/?Iron-Imbal...ion&id=1529716

For those of you with iron deficiency and clinical depression, please read the above article.

I have low iron again and the doc has put me on iron tablets yet again. My husband has been doing some research today and found many articles that link iron deficiency to clinical depression. The above link makes for REALLY interesting reading. On Monday I am taking iron tablets and an amino acid (protein) which binds the iron. I was feeling really down after my blood results today because I was convinced that like my Sister and Dad I had a thyroid issue or coeliacs disease. I wanted a reason for my depression. I feel a little uplifted than I did earlier. Could it be that my iron deficiency is the cause of my clinical depression? Even the GP admits shes out of her depth with this sort of detail! The psych doc at the CBT clinic hasn't even mentioned blood tests! Just pumped me full of drugs!Well no more!Dear God, please let this be THE answer.

Re: iron deficiency linked to depression

wow thats really interesting!!!!

i had bloods taken last week and doc rang me yday to say im not amenic but my iron count is low so prescribed me iron tablets ferrous sulphate 200mg to take 1 3 times a day. anyway i am scared to take mine....i have a thread about this on the health anxiety page.

what tablets are you taking and do you find them ok?

also do you take yours with meals?

x

Hi. Ive been following your thread. Im on exactly the same type and dose as you. Ive taken them before. Ive got 2 months prescription I think (have to pick it up on Monday) and then will have a blood test again. I usually take mine between meals coz food reduces the absorption of the iron but if you suffer possible side effects like constipation, nausea, sicky tummy or diarrhoea you can take them with food but it takes longer to correct iron levels if you do this. When Ive had them before I always get very constipated so I try to drink water regularly. The first time it turned my poo black I was horrified but I am used to it now. I think I may have to stop giving blood coz of my iron problem. So sad about this but I can't continue with this depression (assuming the iron causes it).

There really is no need to be scared. Nothing weird will happen. You obviously need them.

hi,
    late october i had a blood test done and it turned out i was extremely low on iron.
    my levels was 5. my doctor wanted to put me on iron tablets but i dont like taking tablets so he put me on a liquid medicin instead.which actually taste quite nice!! after my 3 month check my levels were up to 20. which is still low but atleast its going up. so i will be on it for a while.
    you will find with all iron medicin that it changes you bowel movements.
    i do feel alot better for taking it.
    i have read that iron deficiency can cause alot of diffrent symptoms. but atleast its easily treatable.
    hope ive been of some help. exuse my rambling...
    love
    twigs xx

twiglet, did it lift your mood after taking the iron please? If so, how long after you first started?

Hi last year i was feeling like i was struggling, im a cryer anyway(lol) but felt down and just like i wanted to sleep, my blood count was 4 but over 7 weeks with iron 3 times a day got it up to the low end of 16 which is apparently okay and went back to work after 8 weeks. (mine is heavy periods) i felt sick and my already bad tummy was worse, she changed my tum meds and then i was constipated, lol. anyway, movecol does the trick you just neck a sachet as many times as you need in water, got mine from the GP and the trick was done, Still on iron twice a day after a year but i dont feel as 'down'. My Gp actually told me the first time she saw me that as well as breathlessness, iron deficency can cause depression.(she was also the first gp i had discussed my health anxiety with)
    I took my meds with orange juice cos apparently vit c makes you absorb better, i reaserched loads, and ate iron rich foods as well. dont have iron with or near the time of any milky product so cereal with milk for instance, and not with a hot drink within 2 hours! lol there is a science to it.

hope your going on okay

jools.

Hi, I had low iron too, and iron pills just gave me a better sense of wellbeing! With low iron you feel tired and ill and that is gonna make you depressed. I felt so much better after those pills.

AND
    'AV A
    PASTY

Just found this thread after looking up 'Iron deficiency causing depression?' on Google.

I've recently been told my iron levels are really low again & over the last few months (especially in the past week) I've been feeling really low/depressed. I've seemed to of developed OCD intrusive thoughts (according to a website OCD is quite common with anemia) which are driving me mental & making me feel even worse & making my anxiety worse.

Interesting! Deffo going to keep an eye on my mood in relation to my iron levels.

You just reminded me.. I got prescribed iron tablets before Xmas that I "forgot" to take over the festive period, then really did forget about since then. They really mess up my already messed up tummy :(

You can go back to your doctor to try a different type, I went from sulphate to glucosate and that helped a lot!
    If you are low on iron DO take iron! You will feel lots better, trust me!

AND
    'AV A
    PASTY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information