Thread: IBS/Anxiety

IBS/Anxiety

Does anyone get IBS related pains? Mine is pain particularly focused around and between the ribs. This tends to happen in phases particularly when I'm not busy, but hppens every day for over 6 months now. This has helped drive anxiety, but not sure whether supplements, new diet might help. Does anyone know what could be causing the pains/muscle spasms?

Re: IBS/Anxiety

IBS is normally diagnosed when all other tests have been exhaustive and proved negative. Also, IBS pain is not always restricted to areas stated on IBS websites. In other words, pain or discomfort can be felt in any of the four quadrants of the abdominal area and also before and/or after a bowel movement. The area between the ribcage or just below, either left or right also seems common in IBS pain.

Another problem can be caused by too much acid which can be caused by Anxiety. The excess acid can cause some inflammation of the stomach area including the chest which will in turn produce discomfort.

It would appear to be a 'catch 22' situation! The IBS and acid produce pain which in turn creates Anxiety which in turn produces more acid and increases IBS symptoms. I believe 99% of the time, the whole problem is Anxiety related. Even if we are not necessarily stressed at the time, we still have things or issues on our mind, be they past, present or future! If we are prone to worry, nerves, anxiousness, panic etc., (and most of us on here are) then we will more than likely suffer from stomach issues. It is the natural way of our body tellings us that we need to change something.

Unfortunately, changing the cause of the discomfort is not always possible. Afterall, we cannot change the past, and the past is normally the reason why we are like this in the first place! It would appear that we have to 'reprogramme' ourselves in order to accept past events that have upset us and consequently 'move on' having accepted it. When you think of it, the only time we should concentrate on is right now! The past has gone and the future is not worth the worry because it is unpredictable!

Various IBS related websites (as well as posts on this site) will be able to suggest certain diet changes in order to help with the symptoms. Various anti-acid and IBS medications can also help. At the end of the day, I still believe that the cause is better treated but as I said, that's not always that simple! Sorry to ramble on, but hope this has helped a little.
    Take care.
    Horse.

Thread Information