Thread: Hard Bone Lump on Clavicle

Hard Bone Lump on Clavicle

Hi there -

I am new to this forum, but have lurked for a while.

It is time I get this dealt with.....so here goes. I am hoping I can get some reassurance, anyway.

I have a HARD malformation/lump at the end of my clavicle where it meets my sternum. It is definitely part of the bone - hard as a rock. It sticks up about 2mm and comes to a bit of a ridge. The sternum is worn away unusually around where this hard, malformed bit grinds into my sternum. It is unmovable and feels a part of the bone. It can be noticed from the outside of my neck/throat. The lump itself does not hurt but because I have so many ligaments/joints down my neck and over this area, I sometimes get referred pain across my chest and up my neck (sometimes into my shoulder).

This lump has been there for about 4 years and I have known about it for about 2 years (I can trace it in pictures). If it has grown in this time, it is not by more than maybe 1/2mm. If even that.

I have never broken or damaged this part of my body. I am 32 years old.

I am terrified I have cancer. My son's father just died unexpectedly a few months ago and my worries about this lump have skyrocketed since then. I am the sole supporter of a 4 person household which would implode if I even took any time off of work.

Has anyone ever had this? Can anyone who has had cancer tell me if I should worry?!?

I know I should go to my GP - I am just too terrified. I have had a very tragic year and one more thing will just send me over the edge.

Re: Hard Bone Lump on Clavicle

dont worry but go to doc to give yourself peace of mind

let us know how u get on
    all the best

oh dear you have gotten yourself into quite a worried state & unfortunatly i can,t really be of any help - i would have thought that if it was anything nasty you would have had a lot more symptoms by now as you have had it for a number of years,you know that the good old doc is who you need to see but i understand when you say you are frightened to go - i,m the same-however you are young & fit & nasty things usually strike older people - please try & pluck up the courage to see your doc & put your mind at rest,good luck & let us know how you get on -

I really feel for you but until you get it checked out by your doctor then you will never be completely reassured. I honestly don't think it is anything serious - we all have lumps n bumps that are unique to us. Also remember that most lumps are harmless. The fact that you've had it so long sounds as though it's not anything to worry about. Also, sometimes when we are constantly checking ourselves and poking and prodding then it can actually make things more obvious. I remember many years ago finding a bony lump in my son's arm and, like you, thought the worse!! After seeing a doctor at hospital we were told that it was just a harmless piece of bone and it was left like that. My imagination had conjured up all sorts!! Please see your doctor and put your mind at rest. I bet it's a simple thing that is harmless and you've worried yourself over nothing. I think as well that you've got a lot on your shoulders and need to get this matter over and done with. Put yourself first and get it checked out.
    Myra

Hi

I think you just have a nobbly bone!

Plus, I agree that seeing as you've had it a few years with very little or no change it's very unlikely to be anything serious.

Ask your doc, I really don't think it's anything to be terrified about.

The referred pain that you mentioned could be due to a pinched nerve somewhere. Tension can cause pinched nerves and the pain can travel some distance!

Thanks everyone for your kind words. I know I should go to the doctor - and I agree that it has been there for a good few years with no signs of any real growth, etc. I know those are points in my favour. I just can't bring myself to go. I just couldn't bear it if something was wrong. Yet, at the same time, the worry is killing me.

sigh....

Go see your doc, I bet you'll be in there no more than 2 mins and I can picture your doc saying "I really don't think that it's anything to worry about, it's just a nobbly bone!" and he/she will probably tell you to stop fiddling with it!

I'm not convinced that the disease you think it is would show itself in that way anyway!?

Imagine how good you'll feel after you've been, and you WILL feel GOOD because you'll find out it's nothing!

You deserve to feel good!

x

Yes, I agree - you deserve to feel good. Honestly, constantly worrying about this will do you no good whereas a quick visit to the gp will put your mind at rest. It will be a huge weight off your shoulder. Carrying on worrying about it will only make you more anxious. Please make that appointment and I bet it's absolutely nothing to worry about.
    Myra

I have got the same lump on my collar bone. I went to a walk in hospital and had an x ray but was told it was nothing and that it would go away itself, which didn't really put my mind at ease. That was over a month ago and it is still really painful and has now started to cause a pain down my arm as well. The past month or so i have also noticed my hair falling out alot i wake up in the morning and there is hair all over my pillow and it is everywhere on my clothes and the amount of hair in my brush when i brush it is ridiculous. Important getting really scared as to what it could be as have Googled it and scary things come up. I can't get a doctors appointment for 3 weeks and am worried what will happen in this time. Did you have any luck with finding out what the lump was or does any one else know. I am worried and cry everyone i think about looking all of my hair.

Thread Information