Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Can I Rewrite my CV When I'm Not The Desirable Person I Used To Be?I Can't Lie!

How Can I Rewrite my CV When I'm Not The Desirable Person I Used To Be?I Can't Lie!

Ive just spent nearly 2 hours renewing my CV. Basically I have started from scratch. I was feeling quite low this morning and thought rewriting my CV would be better than just sitting around feeling worse. Can't get stuck into anything today. Anyway, writing my CV has made me think really negatively about myself and what I have to offer. If I could just show an employer what I can do, how reliable, committed, hardworking and responsible I am that would be fine. I am well educated and have always done well at work but I have to write this damn CV. I know my husband would help out but I really can't put down in writing anything that would make me want to employ me! I also find my husband very patronising. He's quite a hard man (not emotional, no grey areas) and doesn't always get the best out of me. In terms of checking it over and making sure it sounds professional and appealing, yes fine but if I ask him to sit with me and go through my attributes I know I will get upset because I will feel he is looking down on me.

I do want to get back to work while my little girl is at school, there isn't particularly any rush but I need to do this to try and move forward and I've always flourished while in paid employment (I don't like being a housewife). Not that I exactly know what job I would like to do! This CV is a start to trying to get on with the rest of my life! Has anybody else felt like this. What did you do about it?

Re: How Can I Rewrite my CV When I'm Not The Desirable Person I Used To Be?I Can't Li

Could you not ask someone else to check your CV for you
    im sure tehre are plenty of people that could give you some good advice or maybe even web sites that give tips on CV writing.

You ahve already mentioned you are reliable, hard working committed and responsible person... you shhould add that on a personal statement at the top of your CV

Re: How Can I Rewrite my CV When I'm Not The Desirable Person I Used To Be?I Can't Li

Hi. Thanks. I'm using a good CV layout form a Government website. I don't know how I would cope with criticism if somebody looked at it. I am ultra sensitive these days but your advice is good thanks and itr needs to be doen, like it or not Do feel I haven't had recent enough experiences to warrant time on a CV though and isn't that what employers look for? It was 2006 when I last worked.

If you have been a housewife during that time they will be fine.
    the fact that you have had your family and are now ready to work again is probably more apealing than someone who is at the age that may want to start a family.
    i know employers should not take thet in to account but they do

Have confidence in yourself and dont give up im sure you have loads of qualities an employer would want
    Good luck

marc x

I would just get somebody mutual to have a look at your CV. This is what I do, if I think too much about writing the CV the harder it becomes. I put down pretty much the basics and send it off, if they reply back then bonus, I think employers take a snapshot of your experience and qualifications and then make a decision. I wouldn't worry too much, the good job is out there waiting for you!

my friend helps me, she's very positive and gives me some goo ideas too :-)
    post a link if anyones see's a good CV layout!

It's always good to centre your CV around the field of work you are looking to get into, if you are unsure even try to have different cv's for different types of jobs.
    ie - retail - focus on your customer service skills, communication, cash handling.

And on each job specific cv ensure that you get it into your personal profile how much you want to have a career in that sector.

Put on you cv that you have been a full time mum and now that your children are at school you feel that now is the right time for you to get back to work. Most employers should value the fact that you have been a full time mum - it's a job itself.

If your not sure what you want to do - start off by looking through the websites and papers and just apply for the jobs that you think "oh i'd be good at that and would like to do that job" - then arrange your cv around it.

Good luck and happy job hunting
    AJS

Thank you everybody theres some really useful advice. I will try again when Im feeling better than I am today... its 12.28am!

Following on from what AJS said - it's really useful to structure your CV around what you think the employers are looking for. Just making a generic CV is really hard!

Sometimes it helps me if I start by writing out a sort of trail of thought thing about what I want to achieve, and the things that make me suited for it. For example, I really want to go to the Royal College of Art. I know I have a good chance because I'm very aware of the design world and social issues surrounding it; I've got a good track record of getting into universities in the past; my portfolio will be interesting when I finally get it together; I have unusual quirky ideas that will make me stand out from other applicants.

Writing it like that makes you less likely to think about it in terms of how many qualities you have - I tend to worry there's not enough bullet points etc but really it's not about quantity, it's about quality. Then afterwards you can make it more structured and quick to read.

It really helps to get into a positive frame of mind before, so do something that makes you feel happy first. Helps if you feel sexy too... put on a pair of high heels you are a strong assertive woman! High heels always help with those kinds of thoughts

Best of luck, let us know how it goes xx

Hi smudger, I know this may sound totally random, but can I ask are you in reciept of any government health benefits ?
    If so you can contact places like Remploy or Shaw Trust (you can google these companies)
    If you approached them they could help in returning to work and support in work and help make sure you get all the benefits your entitled to such as the tax credits etc.
    Also they can do for your CV for you which then takes the pressure off you.

I think maybe Mr Spock had the right idea that human emotions have many flaws and are very unpredictable Live Long & Prosper

Diagnosed With Following Under Mental Health

Severe Depression
    Generalised Anxiety Disorder
    Panic Disorder
    Borderline Personality Disorder
    Agoraphobia

Physical Health Diagnosis's

Type 2 Diabetes
    Blood Clotting Disorder
    Lymphoedema
    Asthma
    Sleep Apnoea