Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: hypnosis for anxiety and depression

Re: hypnosis for anxiety and depression

To the tube: my sessions were not filmed so that was ok. I know about the Becks depression scale as I had filled one of these in previously. There have been many studies about the effecacy of hypnosis. My problem at the moment is continuing the processes I have learn't during the sessions. I have one more session booked but I am still experiencing nightmares.

I have been reading this thread with interest as I have recently contacted a Hypnotist as I suffer from depression.

I keep on hitting flat spots when it comes to the different medication that I am taking so I think its time I try something else to see if it helps.

How are you finding the sessions, are they helping or is it to soon to notice a difference?

Captain

Am very very interested to find out about hypnosis, im in the west midlands, anybody got any advice, i have phobia and health anxiety x

Heres some info on what hypnosis and hypnotherapy is. Hope it helps

Hypnosis is a totally natural state of mind. You enter this state many times during the day. As you awake and fall asleep. When you are day dreaming. If you have ever been driving and can't remember the last 5 miles you have been in a state of hypnosis. During this state the conscious mind (which is usually busy processing up to 8 things at a time) becomes quiet because it has little to do. While your conscious (or logical) mind is quiet your subconscious mind becomes more active and can be accessed. In hypnotherapy the therapist helps you to reach this natural state to access your subconscious mind. Your subconscious mind contains many wonderful things like your creativity, and all your memories. But it can also be responsible for limiting behaviours e.g. phobias or nervous habits. By helping you access your subconscious mind the hypnotherapist can help you remove these limiting behaviours and improve your life by giving your subconscious mind positive suggestions.

Because of the many misconceptions about hypnosis some people wonder if it is working when they experience it for the first time. There are no flashing lights, no falling asleep, no weird feelings, no losing control and your hearing still works fine. You simply start to feel gradually more relaxed as the hypnotherapist guides you on how to relax yourself. There is nothing magical about the process of hypnosis. It is simply being able to deeply relax.

A common technique used by hypnotherapists to treat phobias is visualisation. By visualising the situation that triggers your phobic reaction while in a deeply relaxed state (hypnosis) your mind finds it easier to cope with and can start to reduce the associated anxiety. Its a bit like exposure therapy but from the comfort and safety of the therapy room.

Ive often wondered about hypnosis but have always been nervous about the losing control idea...that's the thing with anxious people though so its sometimes a catch 22 situation....not wanting to put ourselves in that situation but wanting to feel better about our fears. Its good to have it explained more clearly, thanks.

Anna xx

Yes people with anxiety disorders are often nervous about hypnosis and it can be a big step for them to start therapy.

If you are nervous about the hypnosis experience ask the hypnotherapist to introduce you to it gradually.

A simple 1 or 2 minute visualisation is enough to relax a client slightly. This can be built up to a 10 or 15 minute visualisation and achieve a deeper level of relaxation.

Once the client experiences the wonderful relaxed feeling that hypnosis brings they become more comfortable with it and the therapy can begin.

There are many good books on self hypnosis also which can help you understand what it is and how it works. These books usually contain visualisation exercises or muscle relaxation exercises. The same techniques are used by hypnotherapists just they guide you instead of you guiding yourself.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information