Thread: Help with mirtazapine

Help with mirtazapine

Hi, I'm a fairly long term recurent depressive whose recently had my medication changed from citalopram to mirtazapine.

It's my third week on this ( gradually upping the dosage to the prescribed 45mg ) and I'm finding it difficult.

I'm finally sleeping better, but I'm not waking up refreshed at all and during the day I really feel like sh*t ( dizzy, spaced out, lacking in energy ).

Has anyone had similar problems cos I need to know that this will pass once my body gets used to the meds.

Darren

Re: Help with mirtazapine

As Churchill the insurance dog would say "yes,yes,yes!" Mirtazapine has sedative effects unfortunately and you definately shouldn't drive or carry out any dangerous hobbies or work until things ease. It will get less prenounced but it is different for everybody. It is recorded that it's less of a sedative on higher doses so thats a plus for you. I started on 15mg and it wasn't til day 46 that I noticed improvement but you may be different. Good luck Darren.

hi darren i was on citalopram and changed to mirtazapine,but i got horrendus head shocks and could not function for 4 weeks.I thought it was the mirtazapine but it was withdrawl symptoms from the citalopram.Itakes a few weeks for your body to settle into the new meds

Hi Darren, I am on day 20 of change to mirtazipine from citalopram, first 2 weeks pretty awful, as you describe totally spaced out, heavy and dozy, I couldn't drive, in fact I didn't leave the house for the 2 weeks. Now I wake feel a little sleepy but it passes really quickly. I am really starting to benefit from the meds now and hope it continues. I also experienced as magpie girl did the horrendous brain zaps from the withdrawal of citalopram. My GP tapered me down 40mg-0 in a week!! Never again! Did you taper down or just swop over?? Hang on in there..it does pass, I never thought it would but gradually it does. Good luck. Jo.

I know someone who's just tried this med but given up with it.

My GP also took me straight off citalopram. Worst experience ever!!

Thread Information