Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emetaphobia 101

Emetaphobia 101

Hi there, I have actually posted about this in the intro section, but I thought this would be a better place....(it's a bit long winded sorry!!!)

I have suffered from emet since I can remember ( huge if irrational fear of vomitting , and others vomitting) I have kids, and I would say they are the greatest source of 'exposure therapy' ther can be!!!Kids get bugs and such all the time, so it is enevidable that they will pass some on etc, coughs, colds, conjunctiveitis, you name it, but my biggest worry is that they'll catch a stomach bug, and I will get it. I've talked to a friend who too suffers this fear, and we agreed that it might not be so hard o handle the idea of kids getting tummy bugs, if we knew we ourselves could never ever catch them, bringing me to the conclusion that it is probably mostly a fear of being sick MYSELF more than others, although seeing someone vomit ( except less with the kids ) still ruins the rest of the day for me!!!!

I would love to hear from anyone who suffers this sucky fear, ( thanks to Tammy already for the PM!!!) especially anyone who has tried exposure therapy or similar ( watching someone, or purposly being sick...though I can't imagine an emetaphobic ever being able to do this!! I couldn't!!!)

Thankyou all for your kind words so far!! much love, megs

Love God, Love Others-perfect love casts out all fear

Hi Megs

One of our members, Mark, had CBT for his phobia of this.

His post can be found at CBT for emetophobia my experiences...

It may help anyway.

Nicola

man, reading through Marks experiance with the video!!! How amazing, firstly, that there even is such a video, secondly, that it almost sounds like child abuse... videoing a child eating itself sick...and thirdly at Marks amazing bravery!! And he seems so much better in the later posts...very inspiring indeed!!! Actually I think the worst mainstream movie you could use for cbt would be the movie "jackass" I've never seen so many idiots throwing up!! Worse than a Saturday night in town!!, Many thanks, Meg xoxxo

Love God, Love Others-perfect love casts out all fear

Hi Megs (again lol)

Just something about the video... I have one too! Before I joined this site just the thought of buying such a video would send me into a panic. But sometimes you gotta panic to not panic.. if you get me!

The first few times I watched it was an absolute nightmare.. I can't even explain how bad I was. It's all about slowly building up though and now I can watch the video and am not bothered at all. I thought it was just because I knew what was going to happen and when, but it's not. I can now watch TV and if it happens I am fine, I no longer have to watch TV with the remote in my hand lol.

Of course the real thing in real life is still a different story but I'm working on it!

Tammy x

Look in Successes for Marks latest posts

I have had a fear of Sickness for alot of yrs now. Glad to now know its a proper phobia. Also scared of catching sickness bugs and panic and not want to go out if I know a Virus is going round.
    At the mo I know a bug is going round am I'm scared to go out and if I do, I daren't go to places where there'll becalot of ppl.
    Going insane cos of it and I hope my Counsellor can advise me in a few months time.
    Haven't been out 2 spend my Xmas money cos I'm scared to catch something.

hi, i have just joined and am shocked at how many more people have this sickness phobia. ive had it now for 8 years and am now fed up of it. i dont like my kids getting bugs as i dont want it. ive told people that too and theyy just think im selfish but i cant help it. it started when my daughter was 4 months old and she was violently sick. ive never seen so much. i really need help as it has been affecting my marriage for a while. im ashamed to say this but now my 8 yr old daughter now has this phobia. that wasnt planned but how can you calm yourself down when someone vomits. please can someone help me? thanks and good luck to everyone having treatment. marie

hi marie

im sorry that i passed this horrible thing down to you.

i hope you forgive me.

ive had this for 22 years.

give the children a big kiss and cuddle from nanna.

Hi

I am new pn here but I have had emetophobia all of my life. I can't really type much at the moment but my story is pretty similar to everyone else's. I haven't really slept because my husband was being sick last night and I have never been so scared in my life. I found someone who uses this site on another forum.

I am looking forward (well, as much as I can, you know what I mean!!) to looking throughall of the posts in detail, they look very helpful. I may even print some out and take tham to my therapist. I am having CBT at the moment ut I am not sure that it is as effective as it could be.

I hope to 'talk' to you all in a bit more detail soon. I hope everyone is having as panic free a day as possible.

Thanks
    Isobel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information