Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Managing thoughts

Managing thoughts

Welcome to Buddhist Corner.....oy! come back....these quotes are very relevant to us 'overthinkers'......

"If you allow your thoughts and feelings to arise and dissolve by themselves, they will pass through your mind in the same way as a bird flies through the sky, without leaving any trace".

"If you recognise the void nature of thoughts at the very moment they arise, they will dissolve. Attachment and hatred will never be able to disturb the mind. Deluded emotions will collapse by themselves. No negative actions will be accumulated, so no suffering will follow."

Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche

"If you're afraid of your thoughts, you're giving them power over you, because they seem so solid and real, so true."

Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche

"When sunlight falls on a crystal, lights of all colours of the rainbow appear; yet they have no substance that you can grasp. Likewise, all thoughts in their infinite variety are without substance".

Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche

"It's not the magnitude of the task that matters, it's the magnitude of our courage."

Matthieu Ricard

Stay in the moment anxiety buddies Veronicax

Re: Managing thoughts

I can agree with these quotes so much Veronica. It all makes so much sense really. Thanks for sharing them with us. They do put things into simple perspective.
    Myra

These were brilliant!

I loved this one:

"If you allow your thoughts and feelings to arise and dissolve by themselves, they will pass through your mind in the same way as a bird flies through the sky, without leaving any trace".

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

I have another one for your 'buddhist corner', I have it on my facebook profile.

The foolish reject what they see, not what they think; the wise reject what they think, not what they see. Observe things as they are and don't pay attention to other people.
    ~Huang-Po, Zen Master

considering some of the thoughts that 'grip' me sometimes, rejecting what I think would be wise

thanks guys. I like that quote Astarian.

Veronicax

welcome back to the Buddhist chill out zone....

Exercise

When you feel overwhelmed by emotions;

Imagine a stormy sea with breakers as big as houses. Each wave is more monstrous than the last. They are about to engulf your boat, your very life hangs on those few extra yards in the rushing wall of water.
    Then imagine observing the same scene from a high flying plane. From that perspective, the waves seem to form a delicate blue and white mosaic, barely trembling on the surface of the water. From that height in the silence of space, your eye sees these almost motionless patterns, and your mind immerses itself in clear and luminous sky.
    The waves of anger or obsession seem real enough, but remind yourself that they are merely fabrications of your mind; that they will rise and also again disappear. Why stay in the boat of mental anxiety? Make your mind as vast as the sky and you will find that the waves of afflictive emotions have lost all of the strength you had attributed to them....

Matthieu Ricard ' Happiness...a guide to developing life's most important skill ' published by Atlantic ISBN 978-1-84354-558-3

Veronicax

Thought I would bring this back for newcomers. I hope it brings some comfortxV

I was lucky enough to have a spiritual psychotherapist for my CBT and she helped me a lot with like minded sayings. My favourite was to imagine my thoughts being picked up by a passing cloud and floating away across the sky. x

Thankyou for your thread. I will certainly use the advise xx

I love these Quotes and have read quite a lot on Buddhism .Very interesting AND calming approach to life .Cheers V .X

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information