Thread: hypnotherapy

hypnotherapy

Hey

Just wanted to ask a silly question or 2 really.

Im currently doing a course of hypnotheraphy it was meant to be pain management for my IBS but the doctor saw I was highly strung so said we should work on reducing my stress levels.

Its good as they are increased due to withdrawal of meds.

A symptom of my withdrawal is anxiety. Now this has been mild so far but when it gets bad everything is stressful even deciding what to eat for dinner....

Anyway he says I should self hynpotise to really feel the effects.

Now Im stressing about when I should do it, how long for. Will someone distrub me.

After Ive done it I feel like I have more stress and I know this isnt normal. I dont feel panicky but have either a tight stomach or a tight solar plexus.

I can get relaxed when Im in the self hypnosis but Im not concentrating that good, due to the anxiety.

Should I carry on? The Doc seems to not really understand when I try to explain and he tried another techique but that hasnt helped.

He almost had a go when I said the anxiety hadnt improved, he was like yes but you expected this becus of your withdrawal.

Maybe Im expecting too much.

Is it just Im not concentrating enough to relax and therefore not feeling the benefits?

I just feel stupid that Im stressing about doing a relaxtion technique...

Re: hypnotherapy

Heres some answers that should help

Now Im stressing about when I should do it, how long for. Will someone disturb me.

Take as long as you want 1 minute or 15 minutes. It doesn't matter. Try to get somewhere quiet if you can. If someone disturbs you thats OK. You can just try again later.If you have a partner tell them you need a few minutes peace. If the house is a busy one just go into the bathroom for 5 minutes. Most people are left alone by the family when they go in there.

After Ive done it I feel like I have more stress and I know this isnt normal. I dont feel panicky but have either a tight stomach or a tight solar plexus.

I don't know what script you are using but I recommend using something that doesn't focus on your body if thats what you are anxious about. Just do a pleasant visualisation. Maybe a holiday or somewhere you know you feel relaxed and safe. Try to touch all the senses. Imagine the sights, sounds, smell, feelings (maybe the warmth of the sun). Visualisations can be very therapeutic. They relax the mind and that automatically relaxs the body.

I just feel stupid that Im stressing about doing a relaxtion technique

Like everything in life we have to learn things. When you first looked at the timestable in school it probably felt daunting but now its natural to you. Learning to relax is no different.With practice it will become easier and you will learn to enjoy it.

Thread Information