Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 15mg-30mg mirtazipine

15mg-30mg mirtazipine

Hi would love to hear anyones experiences of going from 15mg to 30mg of mirtazipine. I have been on 15mg for 3 weeks now and seem to have settled down on it. I am due at the GP's Friday and then hope to have 2 more weeks off before returning to work and wondered if I will need to increase my dose what I can expect???? Jo.

Re: 15mg-30mg mirtazipine

Hi Jo you might find the transition relatively easy. It depends on your sensitivity to anti depressants. 15mg is a relatively low dose. 30-45mg being a 'therapeutic dose' If you experienced side effects when you first went onto mirtazapine then you might experience them again. This time I went straight in on 30mg then upped to 45mg after Christmas. My biggest fear for not going to the higher dose before Christmas was the sedative effect. It did not happen infact I feel less sedated on 45mg than I felt on 30mg. Mirtazapine is relatively 'clean' in that respect. I took dothiepin for sixteen years and it was only when I came off it that I realised how 'sedated' I had been. I did have some odd side effects increasing to 45mg namely nightmares and hallucinations. I might have experienced them if I hadn't been taking mirtazapine. In conclusion we are all different and our repsonses to the drug will be unique to us as individuals. I'm sure your transition will be a smooth one. Keep a diary of any unwanted side effects and report them to your GP. Best wishes. EJ.

Hi,,,Dont worry about the higher doses, i went from citalopram 20mg, to mirtazapine 15mg, then 30 mg mitz, now i'm on 45mg mirtazapine,,sure it can space you out a little but on the whole you have nothing to worry about, on top of that i take Zopiclone too. Seriously you have nothing to worry about. The worst my meds to to me is make me feel drunk then very tired. Anyway your Dr can always change your meds if they don't work. Hope this is of some help to you.

Hi Thankyou for your posts. Not sure what to do. Will discuss with GP Friday. I did think 15mg was a low dose so I wonder if he will want to increase me to 30mg.

ElizabethJane Did you notice much of a change in the increase appetite at 30mg?? Or will that remain the same do you think?? I am trying to keep under control with excercise and watching what I eat (easier said than done but I try) and apart from evenings I dont really seem to be much more hungrier now, I was at first when I took the med, seems to have settled a little now.

Redrainbow How long was you on 15mg mirt for before going to 30mg? I went from 40mg citalopram to 15mg mirtazipine, was very spaced out and heavy feeling for first two weeks. I also suffered withdrawal from cit (zaps) very troublesome but just about gone now. I have been on mirtazipine just over 3 weeks now. Most days good but odd down day. JO.

Hi Jo I did not notice any change in my appetite on 30mg. I was put on 30mg as a starting dose. I can't remember but I was also withdrawing from dothiepin at this time. My weight initially went up by about 4lbs then stabilised at a healthly weight for my height. I am back on the diet as I am slightly over my goal again by 4lbs! My body was used to the mirt and I knew what to expect. I was already at my goal weight and this apart from the initial blip was far easy to maintain. I have less incentive to lose at the moment but I'm getting there. I'm sure you'll be ok if you exercise and eat healthily. Just dont over do the exercise that is all!!

hiya im new to this site and i suffer from anxiety and panic attacks my doctor put me on mitrazapine 30mg on friday but i havent took them yet as im scared of the side affects as ive been on dosulepin and citalopram and i didnt like the feelings off them i just wanted to no what mitrazapine make you feel like when you take them

Hi I have been taking 15mg mirtazipine for 3 and half weeks now, previously being on 40mg of citalopram. I suffered with both withdrawal from the citalopram (which was zaps through my body) and side effects of the mirtazipine was a heavy tired feeling, almost like you are drunk pretty much most of the day at first but it does wear off after time. 3 and half weeks in I get the odd day that I still feel sleepy but mostly that has disappeared, and the zaps have completely gone now. You will notice an increase in appetite too (weight gain is one of the most common side effects). Good luck with them. There are quite a few others on this site taking this medication so hopefully you should get alot of advise. Jo.

Hi After having 4 successfull good days running I have now had 4 pretty bad days. When I saw my GP on Monday he said he wanted me to stay on 15mg dose....I am beginning to wonder if he is right?? I wake up and just feel so "down" and everything I normally enjoy doing feels 'horrilbe'. It's almost like your whole mind has gone bad!!! I just hope tommorow is brighter. Finding it really hard at the moment. The fact that even though I daren't get weighed I know by my clothes I have put weight on is not helping either. JO.

Hi, Went back to the GP this morning as the "bad mornings" have continued. He has said to up my dose to 30mg from tonight. I am really scared. I know I have to do it to help me continue to get better but I am so frightened of the sleepiness and the spaced out feeling. He said 15mg was a low dose and that 30mg will really make a difference. I so hope he is right. I have nothing on until Tuesday when I have to attend a funeral so gives me 4 nights to hopefully get used to it and I supose on the positive side at least the side effects from citalopram wont be there this time...but am still scared...... any words of encouragement would be greatly received. Thankyou. JO.

If you are at home during the day then I would give in to the tiredness at least in the first few days if you experience it. You might find that you are fine. When I first went onto mirtazapine I was still working and it was very hard trying to cope. If you are at home then take advantage of it. Those feelings will soon pass. The 'spaced out' feeling is unpleasant and I haven't really any tips on how to get through it. Try to be around people and if you do think that you are 'drifting off' then let someone know. There are always people online who will be available to chat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information