Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Citalopram is working for me!

Citalopram is working for me!

Hi all,

I'm new here. I've had depression/anxiety issues since childhood. Sometimes I've felt on top of the world, sometimes I haven't been able to get out of bed for days. I believe there is a personality/biological reason for my depression, but that's not what I'm here to talk about.

After a really bad few months at the end of last year, I decided to go to my GP for medication. I took a low dose of Prozac several years ago, and while it did seem to work eventually, it made me feel a bit disconnected and hyper, so I gave it up after a few months. My depression was in no way cured. So this time I declined it and asked for "something else" and was offered Citalopram at 20mg per day. I started taking it that day. I've been taking it for 7 weeks now.

I had side effects: dry mouth, nausea and loss of appetite. My libido/ability was reduced. It made me feel more anxious! These lasted for several weeks and the depression did not seem to be getting any better. I had done my research, so I knew the score, but even so I considered stopping the Cit as it wasn't working - or so I thought.

I am so glad I kept taking it.

Some time between week 5 and 6 the side-effects declined and then disappeared completely (actually, I seem to yawn quite a lot for the first hour after taking it, even though I don't feel tired - but that's all). My mood has improved greatly. My anxiety has receded dramatically. My motivation has returned. My desire to lie in bed, hide from the world (and honestly, just die) has ended. I want to sleep less - between 7 and 8 hours a night. When I wake in the morning I feel rested and ready to go. I'm much more alert throughout the day and my concentration is much better. I'm looking forward to the future. At times I feel mildly euphoric, which is great.

Now, my mood can cycle a bit. So this could just be part of that cycle. But I don't think so. The change has been so dramatic that I have to say that the Citalopram is responsible.

At this time I can say that I do not feel depressed, or anxious.

My only worry now is - can this last? I'm not "anxious" about it (not obsessing), but I want this mental state to last. I always want to feel like this. I'm ready for some set-backs and one of the reasons I'm writing this is to remind me how good I felt right NOW and that it is possible to get back to this state again.

So - my message to you dear reader is this: sometimes the drugs do work. Citalopram may do for you what it is in the process of doing to me. I really hope it does. As described elsewhere on this site in PsychoPoet's post you need to give it several weeks to act. It may not be for you - different SSRIs seem to affect different people sometimes in very different ways. If it doesn't work for you (at any dosage) then there may be another SSRI out there that suits you much better.

Anti-depressants and SSRIs have had a bad press in the last few years, but from my own experience so far I am so very glad that I decided to take this drug. Gotta go to bed now - another day tomorrow - great!

Tiger
    (not that Tiger, but hey, maybe he could use some Citalopram now too!)
    Last edited by Tiger; 01-03-10 at 22:09.

Re: Citalopram is working for me!

well done hon!!!!
    its good to hear a success story... i am on citalopram and have just increased my dose today... i hope i start to feel better soon... but you have just reminded me that there is light at the end of the tunnel... ( i have beat it once and it returned after a personal trauma)... but thankyou for reminding us all that we can get through this..... x x

Long may it continue Tiger ! x

Trying

Well Done!

i have been on mine 5 months now was agrophobic never left the house without my husband plus dosed up on 20mg valium befor getting out the door at least 4 pa a day depressed anger probs now i go out on my own no anger problems no dp or panic attacks these tabs have saved me im back to how i was befor this all started im so happy

Hi Tiger and burberrygirl72,

Well done both of you.

Yvonne

Thanks to you all for your messages of support.

It still seems to be working. Generally feel so much more relaxed and calm about everything. Can just think without negative emotions/habits getting in the way.

I have had a bit of insomnia the last couple of weeks. No problems getting to sleep at night, but waking early at about 4 and not being able to get back to sleep. Problem seems to be helped by just going to bed a bit later and taking a little diphenhydramine. When I wake now about 6 I'm ready to go - no heavy mood dragging me back under the duvet. That is just amazing and I'll suffer a little lack of sleep in exchange for the dramatically improved mood.

Good luck to you all on your own journeys!

I haven't been on here for a few months but just wanted to say 'keep going' it really does work. I have been on Citalopram for nearly a year now (20mg) and had all the side effects you talk about. It probably took a good 5 months before I was in a good place however, saying that, you will notice the improvements along the way. There will be an odd 'blip' where you don't feel so good but that happens to everyone even if you don't suffer from anxiety or depression. This website really was wonderful in the darker days and all the reassurances you receive really do make a difference. Good luck on your journey.

Bluejeans

It's always good to hear a success story.

I have always been one of the anti-meds brigade (only for me personally, not for anyone else) and have recently started on Citalopram, one of the hardest things I have ever had to do.

I take a lot of comfort from the posts here which are generally reassuring and also because I see that a certain amount of side effects are quite common so I am kind of prepared..not looking for any though!

I too have had the heightened anxiety which I'm trying to just go along with and the sleep issues..well. I am also doing the 4pm wake up and can't get back to sleep.

The one thing that does concern me though is that I never anticipated being on medication for more than a couple of months but it seems like the norm is to be on them for a significant period of time.

I really don't like the idea of it but is there a danger of significant relapse if the tablets are stopped?

Hi Ladybird

I was the same as you - didn't even like taking headache tablets! Now my attitude is that if this gives me quality of life then let's do it. I still have the sleep issues. I drop off straight away but always seem to wake up about 4 am.

It seems the minimum amount of time is 6 months and once you have felt well for several months the GP will look at taking you off.

I think the onset of Spring is also helping!

Good luck

BJ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information