Thread: citalopram 10mg and diazepam 5mg for anxiety help?

citalopram 10mg and diazepam 5mg for anxiety help?

hi ive been on diazepam 5mg for 2 weeks for severe anxiety and yesterday my doctor put me on citalopram 10mg for it, but ive been reading peoples posts that they are on citalopram for depression and it has made them more anxious so why has my doctor put me on this wont this make my anxiety worse? x

Re: citalopram 10mg and diazepam 5mg for anxiety help?

kian citalopram works for anxiety and depression and other things like most of the anti depressant if You ask me!

I do not think you should worry... there are some side effect which is normal but If do not feel that medec good for you.you should consult your GP to substitute with one that suits you.
    main thing about anxiety is to find a way to relax.... this is my personal opinion
    I pray your anxiety will go away

I have anxiety and take 20mg of citalopram to help this so don't worry and you can safely take both together. Cit really does help but takes a good eight weeks or so to see some effects but diazepam will help you now. Take care.

Hi Yes citalopram does work with regards anxiety and depression but as others mention it can cause an increase in anxiety at first, if you go with it you will find once it settles down and gets into your system it will really help you. The diazepam should help with the anxiety and so be beneficial to take until citalopram starts to work then you will be able to wean off it. Hope this helps. JO

I take 40mg of citalopram for anxiety/panic attacks and I'm fine on it now. Started on 20mg and had a bad few weeks to start, raised anxiety etc. Then after about 3 months I still had some anxiety so Dr increased dosage to 40mg, which he says is the best dosage for anxiety. Been on the increased dose now for nearly 2 weeks and started to feel better. I too have 2mg diazapam if I feel really anxious, but I only take them as and when I need them, maybe 1 tab a couple of times a week whilst the new dosage is kicking in. I do hope you start to feel better soon, and if you stick with the Citalopram through those first few weeks I'm sure you will. I've also been trying to do breathing exercise and meditation for the past few days and I feel that is also helping me. Just listen to a CD of meditation and it is very relaxing.

All the best to you

Jannie x x

Thankyou so much for the advice guys x

Thread Information