Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Im Rory, new to this site!

Im Rory, new to this site!

Hi Guys,

After reading a number of posts on this forum, it comforts me to see that other people are going through similar things!

I graduated from university over the summer and secured an internship for the same uni that i went to. I enjoyed university and did well, i tried my best at something for the first time in my life and it really paid off. I was full of confidence by the end iof it. When i started at uni, the thought of presentations scared the life out of me (i know i wasnt alone there), but by the end i had practiced a few times and i was even vlounteering for off the cuff ones (the thought of that now amazes me).

Just before Christmas i was attending a workshop with 15 colleagues. I was asked a question by the person running the workshop and i thought for a second. A thought came into my mind "what if you cant remember what to say, how embarrassing would that be". I panicked, I felt shattered and scared, I couldnt speak and i wanted to get out of there. Someone else took over and I regained my composure after a minute or two. I tried to input into the workshop as much as i could in order to offset the panic i had had.

I thought this was just a one off. The next day I went to an interview with a sports marketing company for an internship. I love sport, so i thought it was right for me. I was interviewed by three people, and they started to un me though the role. As they were doing this i felt the panic coming. I was asked the first question and the panic rushed into me. I felt boiling hot, i was losing vision, I felt shattered and i couldnt get my words out. I improved after that and the interview went well in the end. I didnt get the job because of the panic.

For the next two weeks i destroyed myself with worry, thinking, analysing, pondering over christmas about what had happened. I started to worry about what i was saying infront of everyone, my family, myfriends, work colleagues. When I returned to work, I got some smaller panics infront of work colleagues and at meetings. I have also started to feel incredibly nervous before meetings where i need to speak etc.

I panicked a few times infront of my friends aswell, and each time i did this i would beat myself up about it for days afterwards.

How i feel now is that there is a gremlin sat on my shoulder most of the time, but especially during situations of pressure just whispering negative thoughts to me like "you're going to muck and forget what you're saying". Naturally when this happens i do forget.

I have tried so hard to remain positive, but its a scary thing that happened to me so quickly and I don't feel like i can control it.

The positives are that when i perform well at talking to people or in meetings, it brings my confidence up. But the thought of interviewing again is very scary, and i am now constantly haunted by self-doubt.

I have also become far more anxious at work, sometimes for the whole day and these feelings do not seemed to be induced by anything at all.

I am seeing a councillor for the first time about all this tonight. Ironically, talking to a councillor will involved the identical situations where i panic in the first place, so whoopee!

Im sorry if this post has been a little disjointed!

Cheers,
    Rory

Hi Rory23

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Re: Im Rory, new to this site!

Hi Rory,

welcome! I find myself in much the same situation as you with this fear. I dont know if this is called social anxiety? or is just a part of my general axniety. I think with me it stems from a lack of confidence which I have always had. Im hoping to get some therapy soon too. I hope yours goes well, good luck and let us know how you get on!
    Last edited by daydreamer; 12-03-10 at 13:53.

Hi Rory. To NMP. Glad that you have found us. Let us know how the counselling goes.

Veronicax

Hi Rory and Welcome

Hi Rory23

to NMP. It's great that you've joined. There is so much information & help here.

I can totally relate to the way you describe how you feel.

Best wishes

Welcome to NMP Paige x

Hi Daydreamer. Since having three councilling sessions, I have definatelyu improved. I still get bad times where i feel quite desperate and very negative, but these are becoming less and less.

I also want to face my fears of bein interviewed and public speaking. Before i bewgan to fear even talking to anyone.... but as ive gained my confidence back to some extent these fears have subsided. Cutting myself some slack has really helped. Appreciating my limitations and accepting my weaknesses has really helped.

But the fear is still there that if i over think things, then i can easily lead back to where i was. I lack self-esteem and I look at the negatives far too often rather than the positives. So theres a fair way to go, but hopefully a happier life is in sight!

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by daydreamer View Post
    Hi Rory,

welcome! I find myself in much the same situation as you with this fear. I dont know if this is called social anxiety? or is just a part of my general axniety. I think with me it stems from a lack of confidence which I have always had. Im hoping to get some therapy soon too. I hope yours goes well, good luck and let us know how you get on!

Hi,
    I relate to what you say.I can rethink conversations over and over-worry what people think of me,worry about what conversations I might have!Too much thinking I guess.
    Glad you are feeling more positive x

Hi Rory, thats great news, Im really happy for you!

Is it CBT you have been having? Well, it seems to be doing the trick and so soon too! how many sessions have you had? (hope you dont mind me asking?!)

I wish you good progress and hope that soon you will be able to face the situations you once feared with complete confidence

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information