Thread: Longterm SSRI Use

Longterm SSRI Use

I have a couple of questions:

1. I have mostly health anxiety, but am tending more now to worry about everything else too. My doctor has considered placing me on Imipramine because it has been used for one of my other symptoms ... Globus.

Have any of you all with health anxiety had any pros or cons with Imipramine?

2. Have any of you had any long term use of SSRIs and/or heard of any permanent side effects of using them for say 10+ years?

Re: Longterm SSRI Use

hi hon

i was on seroxat for about 11 years. i was doing just fine and then fell pregnant and told to come off them. i have now gone back on ssris this time citalopram. i didnt seem to have any problems. no weird side effects or anything! i did try to come off them a couple of times before and fealt dreadful after about two weeks of reducing the dose. i always had one dr encouraging me to reduce and another telling me not to worry about long term use. sooo??????? but i was fine when on them.

take care

andrea x x

I have also been on SSRI's for over 10 years and I really do worry about the long term effects. If you find any info. I would love to see it. I would not be in a good state without having had the meds though, infact may even be dead so the benefits probablt outweigh any possible risks.

Hi Xamu

My mother-in-law has been on AD's for about 15 years. She's Bi-Polar and cannot live without them. She was on Prozac for about 8 years then started to bruise easily, switched to Citalopram and has now been on Escitalopram for about 2 years. She's 64 and other than some health issues she's always had, she's absolutely great. In fact, she's better now than when I met her 10 years ago.

Cheers

Rich

P.S. Day 22 of citalopram for me - suffered a breakdown through a chronic anxiety episode. Back at work after 2 weeks off, getting better. Best of Luck.

Thread Information