Thread: Med fears

Med fears

i was prescribed the antispasmodic Buscopan for my IBS which is probably anxiety related. I seem to get random attacks of diarrhea and otherwise just always feel like I'm going to get an attack, not so much pain, but a discomfort and full feeling often with nausea.
    So my gastroenterologist said that you should take it as needed, but as I am never sure what my stomach is going to do I'm not sure how to prepare for that. Then my family doc wrote out and actual script for it and apparently his instructions were to take 1-2 with every meal daily. So I started taking one with every meal, and over months went up to 2 with every meal. So I've basically been taking it daily five months straight.
    Now it's supposed to be a very mild drug, its sold over the counter so it can't be anything crazy, and apparently it doesn't cross the blood brain barrier as it doesn't enter the blood stream or something so i guess that means no physical addiction or crazy side effects? i don't know if thats what that means but yeah for some reason, I have it in my head that if I ever stop taking it now, I'm going to suffer some sort of withdrawal. So, stupidly I googled and found a single website selling discount pharmaceuticals lol that says if you stop taking buscopan you could suffer some withdrawal effects like anxiety, vomiting, fainting and so on. so of course this just perpetuates the fear.
    So anyone have any experience with Buscopan? I'm ridiculous for worrying about this, right? I will probably speak to a pharmacist or my doc about this anyway, but I don't know i just need reassurance right now.

Re: Med fears

Sounds like this pharmaceuticals want people to keep taking it ! Of course they do , wouldn't be anything to do with money ?..... No course not
    Just like any med just wean yourself of it gradually then you wont get withdrawals

Re: Med fears

lol no couldnt be the case at all.
    i just have major health anxiety right now, especially emetophobia so the idea of withdrawal is like aaaaah! lol so i denno, i'm thinking, hoping its not the type of drug you withdrawal from heh.

Thread Information