Thread: Citalopram - starting dose and side effects

Question Citalopram - starting dose and side effects

Hi everyone, not sure if this is the best place to put this thread but will give it a go!

I have been putting off starting Citalopram for possibly 6 weeks now because I am so scared of feeling worse and having side effects. I have depression and panic attacks (normally health anxiety related).

I have been prescribed 10mg. I have heard a lot of stories about horrific side effects and huge weight gain and increase in panic attacks - I don't know if I could cope with those...although I know I am not coping as it is.

What I want to know (to encourage me to start today) is what dose did you start on and what side effects did you have and for how long)??

If you know anyone who can answer could you point them in this thread's direction as well please?

Thank you xxx

Re: Citalopram - starting dose and side effects

Hi there, I am on Citalopram and started about 4 months ago on 20mg. I couldn't wait to start them because I felt so awful with anxiety/panic attacks. Yes, the first couple of weeks are not so good, heightened anxiety was my main symptom. I did not have any weight gain, in fact I lost almost 2 stone because I could not eat properly. My son came to look after me and made sure that I had something, or I simply wouldn't have eaten at all. I am now on 40mg, increased after 3 months cos still had some shaky days.

I would say definitely start them, I feel 10 times better than I did 4 months ago. Am able to work full time, travel (still have the odd moment when I don't like the train journey)! I think the bad couple of weeks that you go through are so worth it to feel this much better at the end of it.

There are numerous people here who will be able to help you with any symptoms that you experience, but in my opinion, I would say get started now, the sooner you do the quicker you will start to feel some improvement

I wish you all the very best

Jannie x x

I started mine and i felt worse i couldnt cope with taking them anymore so i stopped them waiting to see the doc Monday to see if he can give me anything else, not being funny i couldnt eat on them i felt that i couldnt eat, Im on Beta Blockers to slow the heart rate down as i have panick attacks most days and High Anxitey, if your that worried about taking then se your doctor and ask for somthing else hope ive helped

Thanks both of you. Still not sure as that's one for and one against!

What dose did u start on Ian?

I think most people have bad side effects at the start, and its whether you can put up with them. They are pretty bad, but worth it in the long run. See what other people have to say on here on the subject. There are a lot of posts by Psychopoet, you should read them, I did when I first started and I found them very helpful. You must do what you think best for you.

Whatever you decide, I hope it goes well for you.

All the best

Jannie x x

Hi Scorpianwhispers

I have taken citalopram on and off for a number of years. I always started on the 10mg dose (even though GP reccommended 20mg) that is because it can cause side effects but not as bad in lower dose. For me 10mg didnt cause too much. It is a very effective drug and when you think that most AD's cause side effects when you first start taking them the benefit will come. Of course we are all different and you might be one of the lucky ones who doesn't suffer any of the side effects at all. Also if you are feeling bad now what harm can it do? Could you take any diazepam to help get you through the first couple of weeks? Propananol is also good for anxiety as it slows the heart beat down and is non addictive. Hope that helps. And if you do decide to take it good luck with your journey. There are a few people on here who take it so you can get lots of advice. Take care. Jo.

Hi!

I started on 10mg of citalopram about 6 weeks ago. I had a couple of side effects, like a few times in the first week I woke up and my anxiety was worse. Not majorly worse, and not totally unbearable, but worse than it had been. I also lost my appetite for a few days. Oh, and I often had sweaty hands lol!
    Apart from that though, I didn't have any other problems and these side effects weren't really that bad, they didn't make me feel like I couldn't handle them or needed to stop taking the medication or anything. The appetite thing soon picked up after the first few days and the worsened anxiety lasted less than 2 weeks. After my month of 10mg I went back to the doc and had the dose increased to 20mg (2 weeks ago now) and haven't really notices any side effects this time.
    It's still early days for me, but I do feel slightly less anxious and have managed to do a couple of things that I couldn't before, and without too much worry.
    I'd definitely give them a try, obviously everyone reacts differently but it's worth sticking with as I've heard lots of positive things about citalopram.
    Hope that helps! xxx

Hi, 10mg in my experience is the best dose to start on with this med as it ensures less side effects.

Lovely positive story. Glad for you. May it continue.

Jo

Hi,
    Im in exactly the same situation!! Iv had panic attacks/anxiety for the last 10 years, since i was 11yrs! Iv never had any medication before and controlled it by having cbt.. but since starting my first full time job in October last year, theyve come back with avengence!
    Been to the docs this morning and shes put me on Citalopram 10mg, one tablet a day! and im terrified of taking them because of the side effects iv read about! I have a terrible health anxiety and cant cope when im unwell.. and iv never taken tablets before bcos of the effects!
    Did u end up starting them?
    Any advise on side effects would be very appriciated.. anyone taken these and hardly had any side effects? xx

My husband started straight on to 20mg some years ago and had no side effects whatsoever - so it can happen x

Thread Information