Thread: panic attacks and CBT

panic attacks and CBT

Hi there....I've been on and off medication (escitalopram 20mg currently on) for anxiety and panic attacks for 9 years. This past spurt of anxiety and panic has really thrown me. I was doing really well for the last 4 weeks or so, then for the last week I felt a bit 'off'. I woke up this morning in a state of panic and have been having back to back panic attacks this morning! I can't really understand why, and as you probably can understand, I am starting to feel like 'the medication isn't working' or 'it's different this time'. If anyone else has had a similar experience of having a panic attack while doing well on medication, and they can give me words of advice, I would appreciate it! Oh....and the CBT - does it help? I just started yesterday.

Re: panic attacks and CBT

hi jilly im just wondering how long have you been on the escitalopram? i had a day like that yesterday but by lunch time it had wore off i am also on ecitalopram how do u feel they are for you? xx

Thanks for your reply! I'm glad to hear you are doing well now. I'm feeling okay but still a bit off. I started on 10mg December 19 (2009) and increased this to 20mg on January 1st this year when it was clear there had been very little improvement. Maybe I still need more? I took Wellbutrin (buproprion) a few years ago along with escitalopram and it worked wonders. Unfortunately the Dr's here won't prescribe it to me! I'm originally from Canada.

oh its early days for me i am only on day 7 an am on just 5mg for first month then ive to go up to 10 see how i go its all trial n error if u ever wanna chat pm me x

Hi Jilly

My late wife Kazzie had a course of CBT and it helped her very much, I noticed the difference after only a couple of sessions.

So stick at it believe me from experience it does work.

Roger50

My husband has started with panic attacks.he is on medication but still has them but not as bad....he was thinking of doing the course CBT? does it help?

Thank you

He would find it beneficial im sure but there is a long waittng list usually .I used to get very bad panic attacks and never had CBT .. I would strongly reccomend Dr Claire Weekes books ..It really helped me overcome mine .You can buy them from the NMP SHOP .....Sue

Thread Information