Thread: Finally told all to my doctor

Finally told all to my doctor

After hiding my anxiety from everyone for the best part if 12 years I finally bit the bullet and went to my doctor yesterday, the appointment was initially about my severe blushing but I let my entire story spill and she said I do indeed have general and social anxiety, I already knew this I guess but at least it's official now, her plan is put me on 10mg of clexia/citalopram then get me to Cbt and if that doesn't help my blushing then laser treatment, all sounds well and good but I'm scared shitless of the medication.

I took my first pill today and have had a quezzy stomach since, and somehow taking meds to me is like admitting defeat, I've also read some very scarey stories on here about meds including the one I'm on including suicidal thoughts, I mean I already have these at times without a medication numbing me to it.

I think my mind is pretty much made up that I won't take these pills but what other options do I have, I have various self help books and courses from the likes of Charles linden, and to be fair they really have helped in that I don't get. Panic attacks anymore etc but my life still has no joy, I'm constantly fed up and pissed off, perhaps I need to go through my self help material again?

Any advice very much appreciated,

Re: Finally told all to my doctor

Hi Sam,

I tried the Linden method and it helped in getting the panic attacks to stop, or helped me to stop them!!
    You will feel a bit queezy on the meds, but it will pass, and they should start to help. I found that they helped me by giving me space to recoup and get the strength to fight on with the anxiety.
    Well done for finally seeking the help that you need and good luck x

Hi sam,

not that i want to suggest more self help books to you but i really recommend you check out ACT http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mindfulness-...ref=pd_sim_b_5 (there arent many reviews of it yet as it is pretty new, there are more on amazon US)

I have just recovered from GAD + panic and can honestly say that i am happier than ever (and i was happy before!) . If i had to recover all over again i would definitely go the ACT route. I too have read pretty much every self help book on anxiety in the last 4 months and can honestly say that ACT is completely different to them all (except maybe claire weekes). Just think of it as Claire Weekes but very modern, scientific and thorough. In my opinion if you put all the work in and really commit yourself to it then you cannot help but be free from the shackles of anxiety, it's that good.

It is about more than just "getting rid" on anxiety, it is much more than that. It is about reclaiming your life completely and doing what you want to do with your life. It's not easy but i can't recommend it enough to every anxiety sufferer. good luck

Hi Sam, I remember feeling exactly like you when I started on Citalopram. I hated the tablets in a really personal way. It wasn't just the side effects which bothered me but the way I saw it was "Why should I have to take pills to make me feel normal". On the other side, I wanted my life back so I gave in and took them. Looking back, I'm so pleased I did.

The side effects did wear off and they have worked really well for my anxiety. I had to rethink how I thought about taking medication and reached the conclusion that I wouldn't hesitate if they were for a physical illness, say diabetes.

It was a clear choice in the end between my hang up of taking the medication or getting my life back on track. I'm not saying that this medication is right or wrong for you, but would recommend you give them a chance. Remeber also that the list of possible side effects lists every possible ill effect which have been, even very loosly, asssociated with the medication and many of them are rare.

Well done on making the first step to recovery by seeing your doctor, and I really hope you are soon on the mend.

Nic

Thread Information