Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: CBT therapy for driving problems - my diary

Glad it is going well Nic. I understand it's not easy facing these fears you've had for so long but I know how much you want to do it. It will be worth it to arrive at meet ups feeling calm and relaxed!

I'm thinking of you and wishing you well.

Karen x

Didn't manage to get out today atall cos we are so busy after having some decorating done but maybe tomorrow. Watch this space.

Nicola

Aww all the best with this hun

I would love a cbt person to be here in person too - mind you I do have one really, in the form of my youngest bless er!!

I like hearing all that the lady says to you and I really agree that slow but steady wins the race.

Now do give up with all this copying and pasting malarky - I tell you sometimes you have to quit while you're ahead, it's enough that I haven't destroyed the site isn't it[}][}][}]

Big hugs

Piglet

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
    "Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Nic,

Many do come out and do it with people and be practical in their approach like Paul would advocate

My offer to do 3 rounds of the M25 with you still stands !

Love
    Meg

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Meg - what I really wanted was someone to sit in the car with me and do CBT but I guess I can't get that... Why can't they do therapists that do practical help not theoretical?
    <div align="right">Originally posted by nomorepanic - 20 January 2006 : 23:11:31</div id="right">
    </td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
    I think we all wish this could be possible with our various issues.

Good luck for tomorrow if you go out.

Karen x

Hi Nicola

This is a particularly interesting thread for me as I am in the same scenario. I have managed to overcome a lot of my fears due to agoraphobia and I would say I lead a fairly non-restrictive life now. I couldnt leave the upstairs of my house for 3 years. The area I still have issues with is my driving. But I think back to the tiny steps I made, I would sit in the car in the drive, reverse up the drive, go to the end of the road, etc , etc this took me months to do but I am now driving each day but I can only go a certain distance then I start to get the old symptoms back and the thoughts. The further I get away from home the worse it gets and I would love to stretch my boundaries further. I am sure by reading your thread it will give me inspiration to keep trying. Being stuck in a traffic jam or stopped at traffic lights makes me panicky as well.

Good luck with CBT

Darkangel x

........life is for living not just for surviving

Piglet - I will get you copying and pasting if it kills me (and it probably will lol)

Meg - I may still take you up on that once I have done all the theory. Thanks for the offer.

Karen - thanks for your support as always.

Darkangel - hopefully you will get some pointers from what I go through so watch this thread and hopefully it will help you too.

Well I didn't get out again yesterday so decided to go tonight. I asked Alex what the roadworks would be like on the A1 and he said there were both lanes open when he went through the other day - just a few hundred yards of cones on either side of the roundabout. So - I decided to do it!

I went straight after work and did a total of 31 miles up and down the A1. I went through the road works and the worst part was the build up to it when I saw the sign saying "Roadworks 2 miles". When I got to them they were ok and just loads of cones on the grass verge.

I think I have a phobia of roadwork signs and cones - I need to invent a name for it!

The build up was far worse than the event as always but I will stick at it and do it again tomorrow maybe to see if I can reduce that initial panic when I know that roadworks are ahead.

I tried the positive talking but it is going to be hard work to get this right but I will stick at it.

Next appoinment is Friday so I need to have at least done some practice before then.

Nicola

what an achievement you DID IT. 31 miles on your own. WOW. well done I am really proud of you you are an inspiration to others.

YOU WILL DO IT

I am the same the build up is the same.

take care

bobsy

Excellent Nic !

XXXXXXXXX you can do it XXXXXXXXXXX

You did well today mate, keep up the good work

Love

Trac Xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information