Thread: Depersonalisation

Depersonalisation

Hi there,

I had suffered with depersonalisation on and off for many years, and give advice to people on here who get it...yet after suffering with it myself it has once again reared its ugly head in my life again and yet although I know what is happening its still frightens the life out of me. Last night I woke from a lovely sleep and bang crash wallop it suddenly came over me like a ton of bricks and because i havent had it for so long I had quite forgotten how awful and scary this feeling is..I actually thought I was going to be sick with the anxiety of it all...my husband was asleep and had no idea what was going on, he doesnt really understand it anyway so as always, I dealt with it myself..Im posting today because I need a little reasurrance that im ok and not going mad...Ive been under a bit of stress lately and as weird as this may sound, my bedroom has just been completely decorated and when I woke up last night I felt like I wasnt in my room in my house and then it all kicked off from there really...omg it is so frightening, Could it be the reason why it happened to me because everything looked so different..I know sometimes things like this can start it off. Please if anyone suffers with this just a few lines off comfort would really help me..Im still not feeling great today..thanks guys xx

Re: Depersonalisation

hi tasia i hope your feeling better now i understand totally how you feel i redecorated my bedroom few weeks ago in calming colours i thought would make me relaxed but first few nights despite loving my new room i was very uneasy in it i hope this gives you some comfort we know what this is and it wont kill us still doesnt make it any easier to cope with try an ipod with some of ur fav music if u wake up its what helps me ingers crossed for you xx

Will move this post to 'General anxiety' section of the forum.

Hi hun

Waking up to this can be scary hun, if you have not had it in awhile. please don't be to hard on yourself, it took you by suprise, its OK to feel scared As you know hun, if you fight against this, it can make it worse, YOU KNOW this will pass hun

It is soooo dame hard to show ourselves that this IS our protective mode, its there to try and protect us from any more stresses, you said yourself you have been under stress, this is why it's kicked in.

I know its dame hard for you right now but try and let it be there, give yourself good reasons for it being there (eg, I am under stress, BUT, I AM sorting things) It is important when this happens to say, its OK being there, give good reasone, then try and distract yourself form how you are feeling. If we use distractions first, this is igorning are normal brain fuctions and it thinks we are not listening to the warnings.

This is how I dealt with it, by allowing it to be there, saying things like, its OK, its just warning me about what I already know, eg, I am dealing with panic, anxiety or dealing with something stressfull, I use to say things like, I hear what your saying and I AM dealing with it, I will work things out, anything to give it reasons for being there.

Hun, you are dealing with anxiety at this present moment in time, plus MORE stresses, waking up to a room you thought you did not know, this kicked in your protective mode.

This WILL pass hun the fact you have had it in the past YOU KNOW, IT WILL PASS.

I do hope your feeling a little better this can be a dame hard thing to deal with, but you have done it before and YOU WILL, do it again.

YOU TAKE CARE

LOVE JILL XXX

------------------------------------------

"Every thought you think changes your
    biochemistry.
    Your hormones are effected by your
    thoughts.
    Pay attention to stuff that bring you
    joy.
    Look for things that bring you a
    SMILE"

---------------------------------

Hi there Leeg and Jill,
    Thankyou both for your kind and very thoughtful replys..I feel a wee bit better just by reading your posts and what you both said does make sense to me...I am feeling a bit anxious about going into bed tonight im so frightened that this is going to happen to me again but I will keep in mind what you said Jill especially about the distractions. Yes maybe i need to have some music near by I actually did think that last night, at the moment i dont have much in my room because we have just finished the decorating so i dont even have my tv to turn on to take my mind of it...Getting back to what you said about the colours Leeg of your bedroom. My bedroom is very light almost a white colour with one wall papered..I never thought about having colours that would be more calming which is so stupid we just did it neutral as most of the house is like this but I remember when I first woke up seeing this white colour and that really startled me too....Thankyou again for helping me I just hope it doesnt happen again tonight but im going to bed prepared with some music and a book just incase it does start to kick in again...God bless guys and thanks again xxxxx

fingers crossed for you let us know how you get on x

Hi Girls,

Just to let you know that last night all was ok..I got into bed closed my eyes and went straight to sleep and woke this morning..Im so grateful it didnt come back again. Today I feel better after having the sleep but its still in the back of my mind, will take me probably a day more to completely get over what happened. Im praying that it wont happen again, I need to stay in that room a bit I think to get used to the different surroundings. I want to thank you both again for your help in making me feel better. God bless you girls im sure things will be fine for me from now on hopefully it was just a blip and we always learn from having those and it makes us stronger...take care xxxxx

thats great news it will be fine tonight like last night pleased for you really am

Hi hun

Its GREAT to hear you had a good night hay, WELL DONE YOU

Its a good idea. being in your room looking around at all the lovely things, thinking how nice it has been done. When I was acute, bed time could feel quit scary, waking up in fear, so I would spend time in the day in my room, just reading or fixing things nice.

YOU TAKE CARE

LOVE JILL XXX

------------------------------------------

"Every thought you think changes your
    biochemistry.
    Your hormones are effected by your
    thoughts.
    Pay attention to stuff that bring you
    joy.
    Look for things that bring you a
    SMILE"

---------------------------------