Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paul McKenna hypnosis CD's

Paul McKenna hypnosis CD's

I recently ordered two Paul McKenna CD's from Amazon.

They are "Stop smoking for good" and "Supreme self confidence". As they were only about £7 each I thought I would give them a go.

They have now arrived but there is a warning on the reverse as follows:-

"Do not listen to this product if you suffer from epilepsy, clinical depression or any other nervous or psychiatric condition"

Well, as I most definately fall within the latter section, I was wondering if anyone could advise me what is likely to happen to me should I listen to the CD's.

Will I go completely off my trolley or take off all my clothes and run naked through the supermarket? [:I]

Any advise anyone???

Kate x

Hi Kate

Many similar product have such warnings attached to them somewhere. I think one of the main reasons is because they have been advised by their lawyers 'just in case'.

I don't really like posting this and giving people new things to worry about but too much relaxation can have the opposite effect to what you want, essentially making you more anxious. And Hypnosis is basically a form of relaxation. The people who are most likely to suffer from effects of over relaxation are those who are very susceptible to relaxed trance like states and are getting into deeper states of relaxation than most people. Obviously the more time you spend doing it the more relaxed you become, but for many of us panickers it can be difficult to achieve that level of relaxation, so really we arn't too susceptible. For me it can sometimes take hours to get into a deep state of relaxation, but once I feel I'm into that state where I no longer feel any restlessnes or niggling thoughts then I only remain there for about ten minutes.

I wouldn't worry about it Kate, unless you do it all day every day, if you just do what it says then it may well do you a lot of good.

If your really worried then ask your doctor for any advice but I don't think it's going to make you run round the supermarket naked!

Hope your doing well Kate

mico

p.s. Have you tried Alan Carr's book on smoking, I know it's been mentioned a lot in other posts but I would definately recommend it!

Hi Kate,
    I too have made the same mistake as you. I have just received my Mckenna tapes after seeing his brilliant phobia results on tv, but the warning has really worried me! My husband (so laid back he falls over) has told me to stop being so silly and listen to them. I just wondered what you did and if it worked for you.
    Would you mind letting me know?
    Thanks
    Christine

Hiya Christine,

Despite everyone advising me that I would be ok listening to them, to be perfectly honest the warning did bother me.

SO, I haven't listened to them! They are lying in the drawer, where I put them when I first received them!!

Kate x

Kate

Sell them on ebay or on here. Shame to waste the money.

Nicola

Thanks for the reply Kate. I fear mine may be appearing on Ebay soon! It just seemed such a good idea at the time!
    We anxiety people are funny really. People think we are weak because we suffer with our nerves, but in fact we never give up trying to feel better!!
    Oh well, back to the tried and tested methods - accept,face, float, let time pass.
    Love Christine

Hiya Christine,

I agree, seemed like a good idea at the time!!

Had I realised that there was a warning on them, I would never have ordered them!!!

Don't really know what I even think will happen should I listen to them!

What is the warning for? What has happened to other panickers who have tried them for them to even put a warning on there???

Might sell them back to Amazon LOL

Kate x

Hi,

I have tried quite a few of the cd,s. I have tried the Paul McKenna eliminate Stress. On it he asks you to start counting backwards from 300 in 3's. I think this warning may be on for people who suffer from schizophrenia (if that is how you spell it) - hearing voices.

As whilst listening, you are hearing him talking but you can also hear him talking in the distance, if you can understand. You seem to tune into one voice and then switch and tune into the other, it is something to do with the subconsious, I think.

You hear him saying, you are calm, etc... If they were that dangerous, they wouldn't be allowed to be marketed. Like all relaxation cd's, only listening when you can relax and will not be disturbed.

Hope this helps,

Nikki

Turn 'what ifs' into 'I can' and you will.

Why dont you listen to them without relaxing first. Or get your husband to listen to them so he can check they are fine and not telling you to do a naked chicken dance in the supermarket!

I listen to relaxation CD's and they are fine. It is true that some people can panic more when they relax because they are not used to it but I believe it is something that can be overcome.

Emily

Thanks for all the replies! I'm going to have a go tonight, so if you don't hear from me again...................!!!
    Christine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information