Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Effexor, Venlafaxine: What's Your Dose?

Re: Effexor, Venlafaxine: What's Your Dose?

Hi All,

I've been on 300mg Efexor XR (Venlafaxine) for 12 years now... Generally it works and allows me to function fairly normally!! I do have my ups and downs but not too often. My Gp and I have tried coming down to 225mg then 150mg but it has never been for a long period of time as usually something bad happens and we agree to go back to 300mg!! I have had minor side effects which (for me) are loss of libido..totally, sweating badly and weight gain. Having said that... to be able to function relatively normally far outweighs them!!

Cheers
    Tim

Wink Re: Effexor, Venlafaxine: What's Your Dose?

Im on one 75mg tablet a day after an evening meal and before bed.

@James Do you sleep ok taking it before bed?

I'm on a 75mg capsule per day since late November. Changed over from Citalopram which I felt was helping my mood be more pleasant, but wasn't helping when acute anxiety struck, which was the reason I started ADs.
    Since starting on Venlafaxine (Bonilux XL), my general mood has plummeted, and I know it's part of how the different types of drugs work, and diff side effects etc, so I've been hanging on with them as people say they take time to work.
    As yet, I have not been in a panic situation, so I have no idea if they are doing me any good or not.

One thing I have noticed:
    Over the last week, being Christmas, I've been out drinking a fair bit, and forgot to take my Ven for about 3/4 days. What started out feeling like the worst hangover I've ever had seemed to morph into a killer flu, and up until yesterday I was restlessly rattling around feeling like some sort of junkie. I took a 75mg yesterday, then one today, and the "flu" appears to be subsiding. If this is the kind of withdrawal I have to look forward to one day, I'm not sure that I want to go upping my dose if this 75 does nothing for me.

Scary.

hiii...3weeks passed,and i can not feel really better now... i am on 3 37.5 dosage now... will it help? is it soon to decide to change my med?! i used citaloprame for 3 years it was great for me... do you think this ven works as good as citalopram?!!! help me with your advice and exprience plzzzz.

I've been on venlafaxine for a few months. i'm on 150mg dose but am going up to 300mg soon cos my dep is very bad. i don't seem to have much luck with anti-dep meds. i've tried prozac, sertraline, seroxat and citalopram b4 that. They didn't really have much effect at all.

Hi, I have ben on 3 different ssri's and then 30mg mirtazapine, I have today been to my dr and he is changing me to 37.5 venlafaxine daily, everyone seems to be talking about alot higher dosages.
    I am on it for depression not so much the anxiety.
    Has anyone been on 37.5 and if so what if any side effects they had, also what level of depression you have?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Devonclaire View Post
    Hi, I have ben on 3 different ssri's and then 30mg mirtazapine, I have today been to my dr and he is changing me to 37.5 venlafaxine daily, everyone seems to be talking about alot higher dosages.
    I am on it for depression not so much the anxiety.
    Has anyone been on 37.5 and if so what if any side effects they had, also what level of depression you have?
    Thanks

Hi there,

I'm on 225mg of Venlaflaxine a day, so I'm not too sure what it is like on a lower dosage. I take it as I technically hve "severe" depression, alothuogh I'm better than I was when I first started taking it.

My reason for responding to your message is to say be carefull with this drug...it is horrible if you miss a dosage. I'm trying to come off it now as it has virtually killed my libido, however my doc recommeneded mitrazapine, which so far has been shocking (I'm only on day two).

I'm a bit lost as to what to do, I hope you find the right course for you

Colin

I started on 75mg Venlafaxine on Jan 12th, dose was increased to 150mg on 1st Feb and again to 225mg on 9th March. I've yet to notice any real improvement and I'm seeing my psych on 31st. I'm going to ask him for an appointment to see him again in 4 weeks time and if I haven't noticed any improvement by then it will be time to try another anti-depressant....

In the last couple of months I've reduced my Venlafaxine dose to zero. Previously it was 300mg for a year or so.

I only skim read the thread so apologies if it's already been mentioned but it's worth noting that VFX has a tip-over point at about the 225mg dosage: at the lower doses it only works by blocking the reuptake of serotonin, once you get into the mid level doses it starts to work on your norepinepherine as well and at the really high doses you get a triple whammy of serotonin, norepinepherine and dopamine. All 3 of these are commonly known as "feel good" chemicals and are responsible for your mood.

One other thing I'd mention about VFX dosages is to be aware of discontinuation syndrome: the more you take and the longer you take it for, the harder it can be when it comes time to give it up. I hope I'm not scaremongering but I wish I'd known a little more about it before I started taking it.

Quote Originally Posted by deepreason View Post
    In the last couple of months I've reduced my Venlafaxine dose to zero. Previously it was 300mg for a year or so.

I only skim read the thread so apologies if it's already been mentioned but it's worth noting that VFX has a tip-over point at about the 225mg dosage: at the lower doses it only works by blocking the reuptake of serotonin, once you get into the mid level doses it starts to work on your norepinepherine as well and at the really high doses you get a triple whammy of serotonin, norepinepherine and dopamine. All 3 of these are commonly known as "feel good" chemicals and are responsible for your mood.

One other thing I'd mention about VFX dosages is to be aware of discontinuation syndrome: the more you take and the longer you take it for, the harder it can be when it comes time to give it up. I hope I'm not scaremongering but I wish I'd known a little more about it before I started taking it.
    No not scaremongering at all. Very sensible advice.

I've been on it now for about, well I'm not too sure - I suppose I should check, but 6 plus years I'd say. I'm not really sure it helps that much and frankly I think that's a long time to be taking anything.

I'm just getting the courage to contact my GP again, so I should push myself to suggest a change. I can't keep living this way stuck indoors. Some of my interests allow me to remain occupied at home, but others like photography and music depend largely on making it out the front door.

"I am a part of all that I have met;
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."

- Tennyson

For Those Who Shop Online, you can support No More Panic very easily. Read more here and here. If No More Panic has helped you, consider making a donation.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information