Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A year on: Therapy is finished

A year on: Therapy is finished

Hi all, I became ill with anxiety and depression a year ago and it was like being dragged into hell. My recovery has been long and really painful, but along the way I have changed myself and my life in a way that I did not expect, and I've seen and done things, and made new friends, that have added new meaning to my life.

My therapist has discharged me because he says that since he started seeing me last summer, I have made a lot of progress and in his opinion I am recovering from my illness.

It's still tough at times but I am happier in myself than I've ever been. I've started having an impact on the world around me for the first time and everything is slowly getting better.

So I just wanted to share this bit of good news and reassure others who are still feeling terrible that you CAN get better from anxiety and depression no matter what. All you need is the right support and the determination to get through it.

Take care everyone

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Re: A year on: Therapy is finished

Excellent news Poet! You've contributed a lot to this forum so keep up the good work.

We sometimes concentrate too much on the things that divide us instead of on the real reasons why we're all here.

Good luck.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Great news poet.

Veronicax

Brilliant news Poet!!! Well done. Keep up the good work. Jo.xx

Poet I'm so pleased for you and you really deserve to have recovered. You've put so much into it and helped others along the way. You are a credit to yourself. Coming through anxiety and depression will have made you so strong and this strength will never really leave you. Well done.
    Myra x

Cheers everyone

Still not there yet, recovery is coming but I have had a few backward steps over the last month, and I am still stabilising back onto the 30mg dose after my discontinuation blip.

The relaxation and self-help mp3s have done a lot for me and if I wake too early they knock me out for a few hours lol. Apart from that I make sure I'm doing stuff every day, not just sitting down playing Two Worlds on the Xbox (as tempting as that is!).

Just found out that my favourite publishing house is looking for novel writers and I've got 3 months to submit as much as I can. I'm banking on 2 novels which I've been planning for a while. I need a full synopsis, a breakdown of each chapter and a 10,000 word sample for each novel.

If I worked flat out all day I could probably have this lot done for one novel in about 2 weeks but my life has got massively busy because of all the stuff I've started to do (three cheers for hypnosis and citalopram!) and realistically I will do well to get my novels into a publishable state before the end of May. Plus there's a short story competition which closes on 11th April that I only found out about yesterday.

Wish me luck

thats great news Poet.....
    I'm only on the site a couple of days and your epic posts have helped me alot...
    legend, thnx

Hi everyone, sorry to bump an old topic but I thought I'd come back and spread the cheer.

It's been several months since I last had a therapy session for my anxiety/depression. My therapist and I discussed how it was time for me to make my own way in life and see how my new and improved mental attitude held up against the real world.

I'm still on 30mg of citalopram which I take at night before bed. I am still finding myself tired in the mornings and over the last 2-3 days I have noticed the occasional visual disturbance from the corner of my right eye (my "blind" eye).

I am no longer experiencing depression or anxiety blips of any real strength. It seems that over the last year and a half I have finally started to come to terms with the reasons behind my illness, and I have made huge strides towards changing my thinking patterns and behaviour, with noticeable success in all areas. This means that when I do start to feel anxious or down, I lock it down very quickly and "disperse" it with positive thinking.

I've got an interview for a full-time job on Tuesday. I may have mentioned a "best friend" who I have had a lot of problems with; I've given him the boot so I no longer have his depressing negativity to deal with.

It hasn't all been good of course, there have been times of stress and bad temper which have been dealt with.

As I discussed in my epic "Citalopram and frightening symptoms" thread (I feel like I was a little boy when I started that thread!), I am sensing one last problem which has come forward, and it's like nature's way of telling me that I am safe, that it is finally time to deal with it once and for all.

So pretty soon I'm going to start what may be the final PsychoPoet Research Initiative project: I'm going to start a topic about the fear of death. If we can bring this subject out into the daylight once and for all, then maybe, just maybe, we can learn to deal with this most basic of all fears.

If we can deal with our fear of death in a constructive and humourous way, maybe we can live the rest of our lives outside of its shadow.

Now that would be worth trying for.

great news poet im so pleased for you really am xx

lisax

Such good news poet , well done xxx

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information