Thread: Citalopram works for me...how long can I stay on

Citalopram works for me...how long can I stay on

I have been taking Citalopram for anxiety since just before Xmas. I cannot believe how much better I am feeling. I actually think I was suffering from depression as well as I feel much more positive now. I keep reading about people coming off the medication but as I can't remember feeling this well mentally I am dreading having to stop taking it. Do GPs let you stay on this for long term? Is it possible to buy over the internet? I don't think I want to go back to how I was now that I have experienced the happy me. Even my children call Citalopram my 'happy pills'.

Re: Citalopram works for me...how long can I stay on

no advice as such. I was on cit 20mg from oct 2009 until march 2010,then he uped it 2 40mg.I feel a hole lot better myself,an others are noticing it 2. I dont think to be honest they would take you off it if it makes u feel better.I belive u would probly suggest it first to come off the meds. to ya. xx

Hi there, I've been on citalopram for 4 months, started on 20mg and now on 40mg because Dr says that is the best dosage for anxiety/panic. When I speak to my Dr he say's that I can stay on it for as long as I need to, he says that some people are on it for years. I too feel a whole lot better and more so since going up to 40mg. Still occasionally have a little bit of anxiety but I usually can get myself past that, and I hope that improves in the next few weeks, as it took me about 6 weeks to feel the full benefit of the 20mg.

Jannie x x

Hi

I have taken citalopram in the past for around 9 years!!! I pretty much stayed at 20mg but sometimes if having bad times went up to 30mg for a while and then reduced back down to 20mg when feeling fine again for around 6 months. At times when I felt well I would reduce to 10mg and stay at that dose as a maintenance dose. My GP was happy with this. The problems started when I felt well and decided to come off completely after around 8 months I went down hill big time and re-started but unfortunately it was too late and I hit rock bottom.

I think it depends on everyone individually and what your GP thinks.

Jo

Same here, 'happy pills' for last 5/6 weeks and they certainly do the trick, even to the point that I am beginning to have a love/hate relationship with them.

So far I have come from work and washed the car, seriously thought about DIY and taken the family out for Sunday lunch to celebrate THEIR running the Sport Relief mile and offerred to run it next time! All these are very concerning side effects

Nick

Same here, just done a great pile of ironing, and never moaned once!! That's really rare for me :-) Hope it lasts, not the ironing, this good mood :-) The sun is shining and it is a lovely spring day, what more can we ask.

Jannie x x

me too this drug has saved my life i never wanna go down tht black route again my doc says i can come off them whenever i like there not addictive so theres not a problem my kids call it the miracle pill x

Smile Re: Citalopram works for me...how long can I stay on

Quote Originally Posted by burberrygirl72 View Post
    me too this drug has saved my life i never wanna go down tht black route again my doc says i can come off them whenever i like there not addictive so theres not a problem my kids call it the miracle pill x
    Hi been on Citalopram for 3 months went from 20 to 40mg feel great, back at work, social life resumed, hobbies picking up what a great drug, but cant drink beer no great loss! Wine is ok

Quote Originally Posted by auricula View Post
    Hi been on Citalopram for 3 months went from 20 to 40mg feel great, back at work, social life resumed, hobbies picking up what a great drug, but cant drink beer no great loss! Wine is ok
    Hi Auricula

I'm curious as to why you say you can't drink beer but wine is okay?

I've always had panic attacks but they have been manageable until recently and i've now had really increased anxiety and been on 10mg Cit for 2-3 months now and thought that i was almost back to normal again last weekend after 3 or 4 days of positivity. Unfortunately it didn't last and the anxiety is back again.

I have been drinking lager more recently, only a can or 2 a night but thought your post was interesting and might mean something...

Cheers
    Last edited by steveo1980; 07-06-10 at 14:52. Reason: .

Thread Information